120amp alternator ? Wiring upgrade? Which wires?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
What wires would need to be upgraded in order to run a 120 amp alt.? Would reg. need upgraded as well?

I run a 90AMP from a late 80's dodge van, any much later than that and they switched to an ECU controlled regulator.
AT THE VERY LEAST you will need to run a new or additional wire to the power distribution block next to the battery, that will keep the ammeter out of the main loop.
As for the regulator, I used the one from the van. I'm not sure of the different amp ratings for regulators. I tried 3 different ones (original replacement, factory one from van, and some auto zone one ) and the auto zone one let it go to 15.94 volts before I shut the car off. the factory one from the van holds the charge at 14.6 after it gets above 1000 RPM

READ:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Now, with that said, it wont fix old wires with tons of resistance. It "may" help things a little, but it could burn your car to the ground.

My old alternator was working fine but I run an electric fan, a/c and a stereo. What put it over the top was the cooling fan

-
Back