13.99 or faster requires a helmet - what do i need?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Hey gang, i didnt notice a race forum so i tossed it in here. I plan on cracking the 13second mark on my next track outing. And i do know that requires a helmet, and driveshaft loop. What do i need for a helmet? I'm sure theres gotta be a difference in helmets required for a 9second car and a barely under 14.

I'm seeing SA05 approved, M05, etc, etc flipping through Jeg's. What am i going to need?

Either one will be track legal. I run low 11's and I have a M2000 open face Bell which is good until 2012. The SA05 or M05 will be good until 2017. Helmets are good up to 12 years after their Snell rating date. This info is according to 2006 NHRA rule book.
If you decide to purchase a used helmet don't buy one with a Snell 90 rating they are no longer allowed and a Snell 95 helmet is only good thru 2007 so I wouldn't bother with that one either. The Snell sticker is inside the helmet and must stay there. That is the sticker that tracks look for at tech.

Ok, dumb naive question... are motorcycle helmets approved for drag racing? I'm sure there's a big difference between the Snell ratings for racing, and the Snell/IDOT ratings for motorcycles... anybody know??

You might check your track regulations to see if the loop is needed if you`re not running slicks. It use to be that if you ran street tires even under 14.00 they didn`t require the driveshaft loop.

Longgone said:
You might check your track regulations to see if the loop is needed if you`re not running slicks. It use to be that if you ran street tires even under 14.00 they didn`t require the driveshaft loop.

Well, i do have a pair of slicks, and should be getting some d/rs pretty soon. I do want the d/s loop over a catapulted cuda :silent:

Goody, do yourself a favor and put the drive shaft loop in. You dont wont to drop the drive shaft and go pole vaulting.

AdamR said:
Goody, do yourself a favor and put the drive shaft loop in. You dont wont to drop the drive shaft and go pole vaulting.

Yea i'm putting one in if i need one or not for that very reason :salut: :thumblef:

lemonboy69 said:
Ok, dumb naive question... are motorcycle helmets approved for drag racing? I'm sure there's a big difference between the Snell ratings for racing, and the Snell/IDOT ratings for motorcycles... anybody know??
A DOT rating only at NHRA member tracks is not enough. The helmet must be Snell 95 or better to race at these tracks. Any helmet manufacturer can put a DOT rating on their helmet with out testing (it's legal). The DOT will randomly get helmets and test them to see if they meet the standards. A Snell rating is a voluntary testing process that a helmet manufacturer can put their helmets thru to get the rating. Being the helmets are tested this is the only one that NHRA allows.
So to answer your question yes you can use a motorcycle helmet as long as that manufacturer used the Snell Foundation testing and there is a sticker inside the helmet that has the appropriate Snell rating. It MUST have the sticker inside, some helmets are stenciled on the outside with a Snell rating and that will not pass tech. Again all of this is for NHRA member tracks if you are NHRA legal you can bet you will be covered just about anywere.

Longgone said:
If you are going to race a certain track this is good advice to find out their regs.
Because of the advent of "DOT" legal tires that are basically slicks with a little tread, the street tire / no loop rule is pretty much gone now.
I forgot to grab my NHRA rule book this morning but I know for sure 13.99 and faster with slicks you must have a loop. It still might be still if you run street tire you can go to 13.49 before you must have a loop. But 13.49 is so close to 13.99 why not just put in the loop. They are not very expensive.

I was under the impression that the main difference between a motorcycle helmet (M2000) and a non-motorcycle helmet (SA2000) was the lining. Motorcycle helmets have fire retardent nomex versus nylon used on non-motorcycle helmets. The outer fiberglass shell is essentially the same. Is this correct?

GotDart said:
I was under the impression that the main difference between a motorcycle helmet (M2000) and a non-motorcycle helmet (SA2000) was the lining. Motorcycle helmets have fire retardent nomex versus nylon used on non-motorcycle helmets. The outer fiberglass shell is essentially the same. Is this correct?
You have the right idea on the lining, just backwards.

The M rating is for a standard motorcycle or motorsports helmet.

The SA rating has a fire-retardant lining, has a rollbar impact test and has a narrower field of view than a M rated helmet.

The K rating is very similar to the SA rating except it does not have the fire-retardant lining.

The SA rated helmet is the best one to buy as far as safety is concerned. The SA rated helmet was designed for racing applications.

What are you guys using for helmets? I looked on Summit & SA05/M05 helmets
are about $400.00.Now I don't want to hear "how can you put a price on safety?"I agree but what are some cheaper alternatives.I only race my car 3-4 times a year.

69 M CLONE said:
What are you guys using for helmets? I looked on Summit & SA05/M05 helmets
are about $400.00.Now I don't want to hear "how can you put a price on safety?"I agree but what are some cheaper alternatives.I only race my car 3-4 times a year.
I just bought a used Bell open face, M00 rated for $56 including shipping on ebay.
Used helmets can be a crap shoot though. It should be ding free and never buy a repainted helmet.
Look for a SA00, M00 or K00 or better because the older ones won't be allowed much longer at the tracks.

Have a look at these.
http://www.bellhelmets.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=99

-
Back