134 Conversion Kits Safe for Old Mopars?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Now that I've located the correct seal kit for the 72 Demon A/C, I'm wondering if any of you guys have experience with the 134 refrigerant conversion kits..............

Are there any issues to consider using the kits with our original air systems?

:-k

I have changed over all of my Mopars to 134a. The oldest being a '75 D100 pickup. I have not had any issues with the conversion and they work fine. Just make sure that all of your R12 is out of the systems and I know by reading your thread that it is. If you have a site glass in your system you can't go by that when filling. You have to calculate how much 134a to put in your R12 system. You use only 80% 134a as you would use R12. If your system took 18oz of R12 then it would only take 14.4oz of 134a. If you overfill your system it will not cool right and will have to high of pressure.

I put a conversion oil charge in the system then the rest with the 134a. Add the oil charge into your total freon amount.

Chuck

Now that the time is right for this, I'm also going down this road after some lines are made up.
What oil to use for the compresor since there is no oil in the compressor now?
Is the old oil available and if not, would new oil be the way to go? Where or where to get this material?

Don't use the R12 oil it is not compatable with R134. There is an oil just for this conversion that will not react with the R12 oil if there happens to be any left in the system.

I have heard that the older R12 hoses tend to let the R134 leak out slowly over time but I do not know if this is true or not. I did this conversion on an 85 vehicle and had no issues.

The R134 in a system designed for R12 will not cool as well as R12. I only noticed it when sitting and idling for extend periods in traffic and it was certainly an acceptable trade off considering the cost of R12 even if you can find it.

Rumble if you are going to all new stuff then I would just use the 134a type oil if there is any difference now between the oils. Some reman compressors come with the oil in them but if the compressor is dry then I would fill it with the correct amount for the type of compressor you use. I have converted all of my compressors to the sanden style compressors to save room in the engine compartment. These type compressors don't have a "crankcase" and sump like the "V" style Mopar so the oil charge is very minimal (a few oz.) and just what is in the freon. You should be able to get refrigerant oil at any major parts house. I just use the oil charge in the cans but I wouldn't recommend doing that with a new dry compressor. The compressor could seize or damage it before the oil reached it.

Chuck

-
Back