14" SBP wheel rub

-

charger426

Reaction score
I bought a set of SBP rally wheels when I bought by 71 Swinger. I went out and put the fronts on just now and the passenger side tire is rubbing on the upper control arm when turned all the way to the right. Is this normal and whats the best way to fix the problem? The tires are 225/60R14.

I can't see that wide of a tire on the front of an A body. I would recommend 205/70 0r 215/70, no wider. But I believe in hubcaps! HA HA

Yeah didn't have a choice on the tires. Came with the rims when I bought the car. Guy had them stacked up in the corner and got them for a good price. Didn't know if others have tried to run the same size.

I've heard of them rubbing on the front edge of the wheel well, in the bottom corner, but that's on a 2nd gen Barracuda which has more body tuck. If it's not rubbing on the other side, you should check and see why you have more steering lock in one direction. Maybe the Pitman arm isn't centered? Maybe you can just adjust the tie rods.

Yeah I thought it was weird that only one tire would rub and not both. You would think everything being equal they would have both rubbed. If I remember correctly the tires I took off the front where wearing evenly with not signs of cupping or any misalignment issues.

Check rim width. A 5½" wide rim is too narrow for a 225/60. Most 225/60 recommend a 6" wide rim minimum.

Just went out and measured them the best I could given that they have tires on them. I came up with 6 1/2 inches from each of the outer most edges of the wheel.

Bringing this back up. Anyone else have any ideas of how to fix this rubbing problem. I'm kinda at a turning point when it comes to my front suspension/brake set up. I'm hoping this will just be a simple camber adjustment but this is my first time messing with any front end aliment stuff. Can anyone give me some tips of things to look at/what to adjust that might fix my rubbing problem?

Bringing this back up. Anyone else have any ideas of how to fix this rubbing problem. I'm kinda at a turning point when it comes to my front suspension/brake set up. I'm hoping this will just be a simple camber adjustment but this is my first time messing with any front end aliment stuff. Can anyone give me some tips of things to look at/what to adjust that might fix my rubbing problem?

Install smaller tires.

I believe a 205 is the recommended size for your car..... my 72 Demon had 205 on it for years before I switched to 15" wheels.

OK, starting with steering gear exactly centered, alignment will incorporate thrust angles and Akerman angles to toe setting. To have one tire turn a few degrees farther than the other could be in that, thus normal. Then a little wear and deflection in a idler arm, strut rod bushing, most any part, could cause the same. In any case, too close is too close. It's not about how it fits today. It's about what happens if the tire looses a some air pressure or gets out of shape for any reason.
I heard a horror story about a used tire shop and 205 14s poked under the front of a Camry like mine. All I needed to hear and all I need to type here. Good luck

Thanks for the input guys. So to looking back at this thread it looks like I left out some info that I found since first posting this. The passenger side tires on the factory steel wheels is worn very unevenly. The inside is bald while I still have tread on the outside. The driver side looks even, hence why I'm thinking a front end adjustment should fix my problem.

Thanks for the input guys. So to looking back at this thread it looks like I left out some info that I found since first posting this. The passenger side tires on the factory steel wheels is worn very unevenly. The inside is bald while I still have tread on the outside. The driver side looks even, hence why I'm thinking a front end adjustment should fix my problem.

Or create similar problems on both sides.
A 225 might be too close to the body on the right rear also.
215 is close enough for me on a 2nd gen' A

Or create similar problems on both sides.
A 225 might be too close to the body on the right rear also.
215 is close enough for me on a 2nd gen' A

If both tires had the same rub problem then I would have no problem ordering some more tires and changing them out. But would also rather not buy smaller tires just to have one ware bad like my current tires. Was going outside to work on the Dart but it started raining right as I was walking out the door #-o

Just set up an appointment at a local shop for a front end alinement. Will post back what they find/what changes were made.

For what it's worth, I ran factory Rallyes with 235/60-14's on my Swinger for years with no rubbing at all, front or back.

Just set up an appointment at a local shop for a front end alinement. Will post back what they find/what changes were made.

Did you give them the updated SKOSH CHART? The one they will have will be for the old bias tires instead of radials.

attachment.php

I was going to go with that chart...brought it with me. But decided to go with the old book standard of +.25 degree camber, +2.5 Caster, and +1/16 toe-in. Figured once I put a BB in the camber is going to become negative and I was more worried about the front end even being able to be aligned.

But I am happy to report that I can now use my Rally Wheels!!! The guy said the driver side was at 0 degree camber and the passenger side was at .5-.75 negative (hence the uneven tread wear on only one tire).

For what it's worth, I ran factory Rallyes with 235/60-14's on my Swinger for years with no rubbing at all, front or back.

Thank you for adding this. Now I can/will use my rally wheels but I will admit that i still get a small amount of rubbing on the passenger side when I turn to right lock. Not worried about it and will be more than happy to run it like that.

-
Back