15x4 & 15x7 stock steelies?

-

Todlich

Reaction score
Looking to see,or get info on what, if any models, came with 15x4 and 15x7 steelies.

I ran into this post: about 15x7:
If you want stock BBP rims. Diplomats/5th Aves are a good source for 15x7s. The C-bodies usually had 15x6 or 15x5.5s on them.

15x7 Mopar have 4.25" BS
15x6 Mopar have 3.75" BS
15x5.5, not sure of BS.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1333981&postcount=6

But Iam having a hell of a time trying to see if any models came with a 15x4.

Swear I read somewhere that LH models(Concorde/LHS/Intrepid) spares were on a 15x4.But they look atrocious with the swiss cheese appearing centers.(10+holes)
Apart from ordering some thru summit/wheel vintiques etc.Looking for OEM I might find at a yard or locally.(eg:cheap) :)

there is also a 15x6.5 and a 15x8 trailduster/ramcharger stock steel wheel. none of our pre-80s muscle/passenger cars ever came with a 15" wheel narrower than a 5 1/2 that im aware of.

many lebaron/dipps/5th avenues had factory 15x7 steels. even 1/2 ton vans and trucks

there is also a 15x6.5 and a 15x8 trailduster/ramcharger stock steel wheel. none of our pre-80s muscle/passenger cars ever came with a 15" wheel narrower than a 5 1/2

many lebaron/dipps/5th avenues had factory 15x7 steels. even 1/2 ton vans and trucks

There is a 5th ave in the local yard, but has the bolted on wire-esque wheelcovers...leading it to be a 15x5.5.

going to this site to look thru the models/years for rims:
http://www.originalwheels.com/

Helps to some extent, but is also missleading.

Wheel Part Number: #1140
1978-1980 Dodge Aspen

Size: 15" x 4", 5 Lug, 4.5" Bolt Pattern
Finish: Painted
Description: Used Factory Original Compact Spare Rim
Condition: Like-New

1982-1989 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Description: Used Factory Original Compact Spare Rim RWD

There is a 5th ave in the local yard, but has the bolted on wire-esque wheelcovers...leading it to be a 15x5.5.

going to this site to look thru the models/years for rims:
http://www.originalwheels.com/

Helps to some extent, but is also missleading.

1978-1980 Dodge Aspen

Description: Used Factory Original Compact Spare Rim

1982-1989 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Description: Used Factory Original Compact Spare Rim RWD

i have found 15x7 steels hiding behind those wire hubcaps , make sure to look. no F bodies outside of the super coupes came with a 15" wheel. so maybe that was the spare, but ive never came across any 15x4 regular steel wheels in any yard or in the trunk , or i would have snatched them up. interesting though, post up if you find out more info.

i have found 15x7 steel hiding behind those wire hubcaps , make sure to look. no F bodies outside of the super coupes came with a 15" wheel

Doh, didnt think about it.Soon as I saw the fake wires I wrote em off :(

Ill go back tomorrow and check em out, just didnt want to hang around to long with all the wasp nests.

15 x 4 4 1/2 bolt pattern can be found in the 80's Diplomat,Grand Fury,Fifth Ave. WITH a compact spare. Fits disc brakes for guys that upgrade your A's to BBP.
I'll post pictures when I find them. Never bolted them on to see what they looked like on the front but looking at it,, maybe not too great..

Found them, These work great in A's spare tire well as it gives you a nice flat floor in your trunk, lite weight and room for other stuff under there.

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 599
Found them, These work great in A's spare tire well as it gives you a nice flat floor in your trunk, lite weight and room for other stuff under there.

Ah good deal, thanks for tossing the pics up.

Good use for them, still not sure i want to sport those around unless in dire need(flats)

Haven't tried but a 185/75/15 or a 165/80/15 should fit the rim.

Haven't tried but a 185/75/15 or a 165/80/15 should fit the rim.

Got some 185/65r15 on some draglites, but they are 3.5"(bought em years ago super cheap)
Just dont like how they sit on the bead.

Went back to the yard today and did what trunk searching I could.Most of the cars trunks were shut and no keys around to open em.They all had similiar rims like the one you showed Darter6.The centers were really pushed forward on them.If I had the time and equipment I would just buy 2 and swap the centers out to my desire,but thats not viable atm.

Did find the 5th ave there had 15x7's under them psuedo wire caps(thanks 73AbodEE).I stashed em so I can go back this weekend and bust the tires off,as to just buy the rims..... $30(with rubber) vs $10(w/o rubber) per copy.

When I had 15 x 4 wheels built for the front of my car they used the space saver spare rim as shown above with the centers out of a 15" dodge van wheel so I could run the dog dish caps. It gets expensive to do that, the labor alone was about $80.00ea. plus the two core wheels you need to have.

Did find the 5th ave there had 15x7's under them psuedo wire caps(thanks 73AbodEE).I stashed em so I can go back this weekend and bust the tires off,as to just buy the rims..... $30(with rubber) vs $10(w/o rubber) per copy.

excellent ! nice score, thats what mine came off and i have a pair of the older 15 x 7 with a different center that doesnt flare out towards the edges. i will try to show you with pics. also , the compact spare offset makes it look like a donut. like you said, if you could pop out a center and have a regular center welded in with a normal looking offset , they would look good with a 165r15 or similar on them.

the last pic is a 15 x 6.5 , the second to last pic is a 5th Ave 15 x7 , notice how the outside of the center flares out compared to last blue earlier steel wheel. the pic of the van wheel is the same yellow wheel and are 15 x7s and it does not flare out and looks deeper , but the offset and width is the same. the light is playing tricks, but the yellow wheel is flat on the outside center like the last pic. they actually look to be the same exact style except for the width and backspace. just a little fun info.

Attachments

• 0a.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 637
  • d351.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 652
  • d352.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 620
  • d292.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 644
  • d293.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 803
When I had 15 x 4 wheels built for the front of my car they used the space saver spare rim as shown above with the centers out of a 15" dodge van wheel so I could run the dog dish caps. It gets expensive to do that, the labor alone was about $80.00ea. plus the two core wheels you need to have.

Yep,I cant do that at the moment unfortunately.When I get that chance I will run back and grab up a few to do just that.

excellent ! nice score, thats what mine came off and i have a pair of the older 15 x 7 with a different center that doesnt flare out towards the edges. i will try to show you with pics. also , the compact spare offset makes it look like a donut. like you said, if you could pop out a center and have a regular center welded in with a normal looking offset , they would look good with a 165r15 or similar on them.

the first pic is a 15 x 6.5 , the second pic is a 5th Ave 15 x7 , notice how the outside of the center flares out compared to an earlier steel wheel. the pic of the van wheel is the same yellow wheel and are 15 x7s and it does not flare out and looks deeper , but the offset and width is the same. the light is playing tricks, but the yellow wheel is flat on the outside center like the first pic above. they actually look to be the same exact style except for the width and backspace. just a little fun info.

Sweet thanks for the insight.

Made a makeshift measuring "device" before I headed out there so I could measure em a bit better then eyeballing it, or scrapping crap off the rims to read the markings.Simple 15.5" pieces of wood to set against the rims bead on both sides to measure width.Then set one piece at the back and measure the backspacing.Looked like simian football while I was measureing them, but got it done :)

Sweet thanks for the insight.

Made a makeshift measuring "device" before I headed out there so I could measure em a bit better then eyeballing it, or scrapping crap off the rims to read the markings.Simple 15.5" pieces of wood to set against the rims bead on both sides to measure width.Then set one piece at the back and measure the backspacing.Looked like simian football while I was measureing them, but got it done :)

i had to rework my post , i forgot a couple pics lol. thats a great idea. some folks make the mistake of measuring the backspace by the wheel lip and not the center hub face. because the dippys 15 x7 has a flare they assume it is a 6.5 wheel, when actually it is a 15 x 7. i think the dippys and ave's (or passenger car 15 x 7) are the only wheel to have this type of flare , and the 6 1/2 and 6 " do not have it. so i think its safe to say if you see this "flare" , plus the holes for a centercap, they are all 15 x 7

Only concern now is with the 4' back space on those 5th ave 15x7 I found.I got 275/60r15 's to go on the Duster, and I know the police rims 4.25" backspace will fit em on that body.IDK if that .25" will make a difference in fitment.

I could be wrong but I swear the Dippy 7'' wheels are 4 1/4'' backspace. A friend runs 15x8, 4 1/4 back space steelies (Stockton made) on his Duster with 275/60/15 BFG drag radials and they fit just fine.

I could be wrong but I swear the Dippy 7'' wheels are 4 1/4'' backspace. A friend runs 15x8, 4 1/4 back space steelies (Stockton made) on his Duster with 275/60/15 BFG drag radials and they fit just fine.

they are 4 1/4 , the angle of the pic is off LOL . i happen to have pics

Attachments

• 151.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 152.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 153.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 154.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 627
Hmm, swear I read 4" on the ones in the yard.Meh who knows, I coulda' been off when I read the BS.Was dodging wasps at the time lol.

-
Back