16:1 steering box

-

qkcuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I noticed PST has a sale on their 16:1 manual box. Does anyone have any real world experience with a 16:1 manual box on the street? My car is a big block but with all the aluminum bits, probably weighs about the same as a stock small block. Usage is street/strip, not as a corner carver. I just find the stock 5 or so turns lock to lock a bit slow.

I think you'd probably like it. The stock manual is definitely slow. A lot of the effort depends on how fat the front tires are -- probably more so than the weight. I know one guy who drives around with a power steering box disconnected and likes it -- I think that is around 14:1.

The main thing I have noticed with the stock manual steering with a small block and 8-9 inch wide tread is that the ratio is too slow to get the wheel around on hairpin turns -- you have to slow more than necessary just to have time to haul the wheel around, and of course the slower you go the harder it is to turn. So I have been contemplating this swap, too. Although I am also curious about the 20:1 factory optional box -- that might be a reasonable compromise.

Yes the 20:1 falls right in the middle. I remember MP used to make them but I don't think anyone does anymore.

They were an option on early 70s cars.... they turn up from time to time. Firm Feel rebuilds them if you can find one.

Steering effort depends a lot on your alignment too, changing the caster a few degrees can make a big difference in steering effort. The more positive you run the caster, the harder it will be to turn the wheels because you're basically lifting the front of the car more because of the added camber when turning. Tire width has an effect as well, so, the wider the tires the more effort.

The 20:1 boxes were not a factory option. They were a replacement gear offered by Mopar Performance, and through the kit car program then sold through the old DC/MP catalogs. Factory manual boxes are either 24:1 or 16:1. The factory power steering is 16:1 as well. The MP 20:1 worms were available for quite awhile, then fell out of production. I'm not sure if they're currently being produced, it seems like Firm Feel offers that ratio still so they must have a source.

I run a 16:1 flaming river manual steering box in my Duster. It's a 340 with iron heads, but I have an aluminum intake, water pump, radiator, headers, tubular suspension components, etc. I also have 275/35/18 front tires, and run +6.75* of caster. I've run the caster as high as +8* and as low as +6.25* with the 275's. As you can imagine +8* made parking lots pretty miserable. But I increased it back up from +6.25* to +6.75, I'm pretty happy with that. Below 10 mph it definitely takes some effort, and you want to plan everything so you're turning while you're rolling. "dry steering" while stopped is really difficult, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. Above 10 mph it's great, the steering feel is great. Not super heavy, but very reactive. Probably not a set up you want on something you're going to parallel park all the time, but my Duster is my daily driver and the newest car I own at 1974.

Thanks for the comments. My front tires are 215/60-15 so not that wide. I think I currently have about 3 degrees positive caster which works fine for my purposes, so it sounds doable.

I have a 16-1 manual in my feather duster 360-4sp. 225-50-15 tires around 3deg castor. I did have a "grant" tuff wheel that is about 13.5" diam it was a little stiff under 5mph but fine above 20mph. I changed the steering wheel back to a stock one that is around 16" i think. that helped the parking effort a lot and changed my mind about converting to power steering. I like it a lot now.

The PST sale price is a great deal I.M.H.O.

I have a 16-1 manual in my feather duster 360-4sp. 225-50-15 tires around 3deg castor. I did have a "grant" tuff wheel that is about 13.5" diam it was a little stiff under 5mph but fine above 20mph. I changed the steering wheel back to a stock one that is around 16" i think. that helped the parking effort a lot and changed my mind about converting to power steering. I like it a lot now.

Also a good point! I use a reproduction Tuff wheel on my car as well. I don’t think it’s 13.5” like the Grant knock offs are, but it’s definitely a smaller diameter wheel than the non-tuff wheels.

I have the 20;1 worm gear in my manual box. With the 215 65 15 tires it can be hard to turn when standing still but I have the 16" steering wheel so its not unreasonable.

Just for reference

16:1 is ~3.5 turns lock to lock.
20:1 is ~4.5
24:1 is ~5.75

As info, to help with your decision. Firm Feel can rebuild your steering box to whatever ratio you want (16, 20, or 24:1). If you add their fast ratio pitman arm, you can get it down to 12:1 but this would be mostly a straight-line deal. Parallel parking or any other slow-speed turning with this setup would be a bear.

I just checked and the FF boxes are $150 more, ouch!

Yeah but they’re rebuilt originals, not reproductions like the ones from PST. Some folks care about having the right casting dates on stuff. Not me personally, but Firm Feel is rebuilding stock cases which is why there’s a difference.

-
Back