16v or 12v and alt.

-

oktire

oktire
Reaction score
I'm currently running a 12v no alternator. looking to replace the battery I would also like to put on an alternator. but I have been reading that some are going to a 16v without an alternator (no belt to worry about) also looking for pictures of alternator mounting with elephant ears. looks like the money will be about the same as I will need a charger for the 16v. thanks for your help.

try a trolling/marine battery. they are high amp and keep the voltage up over a much longer period then the standard car battery. buy a good one. the automotive batts start to lose voltage as soon as you start using energy and fall off at a steady rate. a trolling batt keeps the voltage up for a very long time, hours than it falls off fast. I've used one for 3 races one week apart with out putting a charge on it. plus you can fish with it for 2 days(about 16 hours) with out a charge. and you won't need an alternator. but if you have to have one that fellow andyF makes a trick alternator bracket set up. check mancine racing out, I think they market it for him.

I for one do not use a 16v system unless you have a ton of electronics. Full digital stuff. If you are running the normal MSD 6al or 7 then go to DMI and pick up one of there Alt brackets. I only use their brackets as there is never a thought of it fitting. Here is the the link to DMI http://www.dotymi.com/Alternator_brackets.html

A simple 60 amp one wire alt off of EBAY for $80 and you are golden.

I for one do not like to have to haul a battery charger to the track and most tracks now charge for the outlet.. If you do not use theirs you have to have a generator.

-
Back