16x8 = yes so far

-

340duster340

Reaction score
Ordered 1 rim today for a test fit. 16x8 with 5 in backspace.

Minor clearance might be needed...but with the rust not an issue

20231227_133647.jpg

20231227_133900.jpg

Is the Z rated tire necessary or is that whats available?

Does it matter that on your wheel simulator the right side is set at 15" and the left side is set at 16" ?? Just asking, cuz I've not seen one of those before.

Good catch i did that so easier to get the wheel on.

I still had a panic moment when the balljoint in the front didn't clear...but it cleared on 16 setting...

Is that a stock 8 3/4 A-body rear end? Converted to LBP (Large Bolt Pattern)?

Or another rear end.

Stock 8 3/4 with stock axles should take max 4.5" backspacing with 8" wide rim and 225/50 tire. If LBP axles, then 4.75-5.0" (corrected) backspace. You could run 245/50 w/4.5 backspace and might need fender lipping. But 70 Duster lip might not need to.

Last edited:
Is that a stock 8 3/4 A-body rear end? Converted to LBP (Large Bolt Pattern)?

Or another rear end.

Stock 8 3/4 with stock axles should take max 4.5" backspacing with 8" wide rim and 225/50 tire. If LBP axles, then 4.25" backspace. You could run 245/50 w/4.5 backspace and might need fender lipping. But 70 Duster lip might not need to.

Think you went backward with the stock vs LBP axles there. With stock, or SBP axles the maximum backspace for a 15/16" rim will be about 4.5", give or take depending on the rim/tire options. With the LBP axles and their wider flange offset you can get closer to 4.75" or even 5".

On my '71 Dart with an 8 3/4, LBP axles, and stock spring locations I'm at 6" from WMS to spring, so, if you consider about a 1/2" of clearance and roughly a 1/2" of tire overhang you're at a 5" backspace. That should be the same even on an early A since the axle width and spring locations are the same. Obviously with wider tires you may need a bit less than that, as you may end up with more tire overhanging the rim than that.

Ordered 1 rim today for a test fit. 16x8 with 5 in backspace.

Minor clearance might be needed...but with the rust not an issue

View attachment 1716184014

View attachment 1716184015

Is a 225/50/16 going to be the tire you're going to run?

If it is, there's really no reason to use a 16x8". The measuring rim for that tire is a 16x7". A 16x8" will work, but the tire will probably look a little stretched. Now if you were going to run 245/50/16 I'd say the 8" rim might be worth it, since the measuring rim for that tire is a 7.5".

Are you planning on the same rim in the front? Because a 5" backspace in the front with a 16x8" is going to be really close to putting the rim into the suspension. A 16x7" with a 4.5" backspace would be an easier fit and would keep the rim centerline in the same spot.

A few responses

Its stock a body rear converted to LBP

went 16x8 to have square wheels for now and have option to go 245 in the rear

5in back space clears in the front but may rub sway bar on hard cornering (ffi sway bar)

I'll check to see on the 16x7 for the front its a good suggestion if they make the wheel in that size

Think you went backward with the stock vs LBP axles there. With stock, or SBP axles the maximum backspace for a 15/16" rim will be about 4.5", give or take depending on the rim/tire options. With the LBP axles and their wider flange offset you can get closer to 4.75" or even 5".

On my '71 Dart with an 8 3/4, LBP axles, and stock spring locations I'm at 6" from WMS to spring, so, if you consider about a 1/2" of clearance and roughly a 1/2" of tire overhang you're at a 5" backspace. That should be the same even on an early A since the axle width and spring locations are the same. Obviously with wider tires you may need a bit less than that, as you may end up with more tire overhanging the rim than that.

Nice catch. Yea I flipped that around.

A few responses

Its stock a body rear converted to LBP

went 16x8 to have square wheels for now and have option to go 245 in the rear

5in back space clears in the front but may rub sway bar on hard cornering (ffi sway bar)

I'll check to see on the 16x7 for the front its a good suggestion if they make the wheel in that size

That sway bar has the factory type geometry and attaches to the stock LCA sway bar mounts? Hellwig made a sway bar that has kinks in it for additional tire backspace clearance.

IMHO, I'd go with the 245/50/16 16x8 5" bksp up front even if they rub a little at full lock to lock. You'll never be hard performance cornering at full lock unless you doing a Hail-Mary maneuver to correct a spin. You could even add 1/8 or 3/16" spacers if there is outside fender lip room. For extra insurance.

I've run 245/50/15 with 4.5" backspace without rubbing (but real close). The extra rim diameter of a 16" may help some.

Just me personally. I always want the biggest tire I can to grip corning and stop fast.

That sway bar has the factory type geometry and attaches to the stock LCA sway bar mounts? Hellwig made a sway bar that has kinks in it for additional tire backspace clearance.

IMHO, I'd go with the 245/50/16 16x8 5" bksp up front even if they rub a little at full lock to lock. You'll never be hard performance cornering at full lock unless you doing a Hail-Mary maneuver to correct a spin. You could even add 1/8 or 3/16" spacers if there is outside fender lip room. For extra insurance.

I've run 245/50/15 with 4.5" backspace without rubbing (but real close). The extra rim diameter of a 16" may help some.

Just me personally. I always want the biggest tire I can to grip corning and stop fast.
I agree...but right now i need to get the car road worthy again after some set backs. The 225s are more a function of price as at 89 bucks a piece i was willing to compromise. I do have a 245 tire i can use for mock up but for now i am letting it ride.

Ps this is the ffi sway bar that mounts like a 73-6 but with a bolt on bracket at the lower shock bolt

that's gonna be realllllyyy tight up front on an early a.

expect to trim a little bit.

-
Back