170/ crank= 225 crank shaft

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok! Here it is, I know the 170/ in a low deck block and the 225/ is a tall block
Is the crank different on the throw or are the rods shorter ?
Bottom line :sign3: will my 1966 170/6 crank work in a.... say a 68 to 79 225/6 block.

Don't hold back :blob::D

The 170 had a shorter stroke than the 225, but the same head and valves. Low end torque was less, but ultimate power was the same. In addition, with the lower block height it was a sturdier engine, and with the shorter stroke could rev higher with less chance of an rpm failure.

as far as the crank swap memike, im no /6 wiz , i wouldnt want to answer that without being 100% positive, so i will leave that to the experts...

:pottytra:
The 170 had a shorter stroke than the 225, but the same head and valves. Low end torque was less, but ultimate power was the same. In addition, with the lower block height it was a sturdier engine, and with the shorter stroke could rev higher with less chance of an rpm failure.

No wounder my 170/ want's to keep pulling after 5.200 :glasses7:
But I was thinking and have seen it said here that a 225/ will give me a good gain in HP being more C.I. / displacement.
My 170/ is a none oil burner and no blow by, a perfect running engine :glasses7:
But I do have a new head Frank built (66aCUDA) took 40 thousants off for me and a bit larger valves, I told him I did not want heavier springs for my aplactions.
My 170/ just has 67.000 mile on it, so you think I should stay 170/ revving engine over the 225 longer stroke and more displacement :glasses7:
So, the crank is a different throw :eek:ops: it's shorter, so I guess the rod length and all in all the same rods that a 225/ has compared to the 170/6.
:-k so all I will be getting is more low end torque :-k
3.23 gears 2.700 lb car standard shift :-k:-k

I will need a early 225/6 so I can keep useing my trans (pilet hole mach) :-k
But I quess the machine shop can drill that out for me if I go 225/ I quess ?

But they do make 225/6 headers, no 170/ headers out there being made..

Decisions Decisions Decisions !! If my boat comes in Victoria will be gone getting some new metal and skin on and I was looking at building a short block to keep me busy... :eek:ops:

My personal opinion is, I wouldn't do it. Cubic inches wins out everytime. A stock bottom end 225 will spin 6K. How much more you wanna go?

That was incredible SS :cheers:, That gave me all the info I needed :thumbrig:

I am not looking for a bunch of power I am petty happy with what I have.
I see that I have a great strong crank and all the piston sizes are the same, it's all about squish and a shorter travel down the hole :glasses7:

I agree Boring is boring :read2: and wow!! these /6 engines can be bored way out :tongue9::tongue9:, and the 2.2 turbo pistons are being used and off setting the rod hole =D>

Thank you for al this info SS, I can see clearly now, I have a great strong long lasting G 170/6.

My wife ask me what I am reading and I told her :glasses7:
She said quote= Whats wrong with your motor :sign3:
I said nothing is wrong with it, I just want to put me a short block together and get all the information I can, and I want to shave it some :glasses7:
No she did not say engines don't grow hair :-D

I have 40 thousants off my head and I think I will take 40 of the block..
Yes it is a 225 and just a few miles north of Small Blocks home.

I will enjoy the disassembly know that I have a dust/rain free area to work in.

-
Back