170, curious about Offy 4bbl Conversion

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I noticed there is an option for an Offenhauser 4bbl aluminum intake and they also have the linkage kit for a cable operated transmission like my 65 has. Has anyone here successfully tried this conversion? I read the articles about doing a Hyper-Pak or Super Six 2BBL conversion and I've read that the cable operated automatic transmission causes a problem because of the need of a kickdown cable. So I don't know if the Offenhauser kit takes care of that problem. I couldn't find much installation information on it before I consider it. I was just curious about it because when I come to the engine portion of this minor resto I may want to play around with since I don't have to pay for a rebuild. I was wondering even if this Offenhauser kit works out easy and you find a suitable carb. What would you do about a cam? I don't see any options for a 170 performance cam? Does anyone remake the hyperpak cam they originally used on the 170s? If it's all too much trouble and reliability goes down I'm perfectly fine with a stock 170 1bbl. Just putting out there and looking at the options.

You are confused about the cable-operated transmissions. They use two cables: one to control the gear selection (1-2-D-N-R on the '60-'64 cars, 1-2-D-N-R-N on the '65 cars) and one to apply or release the parking lock on the output shaft. Kickdown is in all cases via solid linkage made of rods, bell cranks, and pivots.

You'll hear the name "Clifford" come up, but be very careful before you decide to spend any money with Clifford. They have a long and ugly reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective. The good news is that you don't need to go to Clifford to get hot rod parts for slant-6s; there are lots of other, better options. See for example Dutra Duals and header options discussed in this thread and this one, Erson custom cams, HEI ignition upgrade, Mike Jeffreys windage trays, Hurricane intakes, other exotic intakes. Hi-perf engine buildup here, high-perf parts and build info here.

If you have an actual offenhauser slant six intake it will work with all the stock components including the heat riser. (just no egr) I think the problem many people run into is they try to mount the 4 bbl carb the wrong direction. As for the carb itself holley did make a 390 cfm 4bbl and I believe the old slant six racing manual has the recommended tuning parameters for it.

-
Back