18” or 18.5” fan for a 440?

-

rr4406pak

Reaction score
Putting a 440 in my 69’ Dart.

Would a 2863216 7 blade 18.5” clutch fan cool better than a 18” 7 blade clutch fan?
Or is the 18.5” fan not compatible with this car at all?
I know the 216 18.5” fan is not listed for the 69’ Dart for some reason. Would there be an interference issue of some sort with the larger fan?
Thanks.

The diameter is minimally different
The pitch of the blades will make the most difference.

Will both fit the shroud?

Last edited:
I figure I could custom make a shroud if I have to.
I just need to know if I need to stay away from the 18.5” fans.
They have one down here at Carlisle for sale for $150 and was wondering if I should pull the trigger?

I figure I could custom make a shroud if I have to.
I just need to know if I need to stay away from the 18.5” fans.
They have one down here at Carlisle for sale for $150 and was wondering if I should pull the trigger?
If it fits into the shroud you use, then you should be fine. There is not much difference between the two fans. The issue is blade pitch as was mentioned earlier. You want a lot of airflow, and a proper shroud will help focus that air through the radiator. A poor shroud will impede airflow.

They have one down here at Carlisle for sale for $150 and was wondering if I should pull the trigger
IMHO before you buy a used fan look for new fans. I have seen repos of popular clutch fans. Might be about the same price as a 50+ year old one.

You can also get fans off of newer cars.

But watch rotation direction most serp belt cars run the fan backwards. (If the ribbed side of the belt is visable on the water pump pulley it runs backwards

figure I could custom make a shroud if I have to.
Most home made shrouds ( and comerical ones too) are too flat (parallel to the rad core)

And too close to the radiator.

There are repos and used ones available.

Properly designed like a funnel

Screenshot_20230715-070222.png

Bad design, flat and blocking airflow at driving speeds. Red arrow is not a flap.
Screenshot_20230715-070630.png

Last edited:
If it fits into the shroud you use, then you should be fine. There is not much difference between the two fans. The issue is blade pitch as was mentioned earlier. You want a lot of airflow, and a proper shroud will help focus that air through the radiator. A poor shroud will impede airflow.
IIRC the fan is supposed to be 1/2 inch into the shroud

-
Back