18-spline 4-speed trans value?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
About a month ago i helped my cousin go pick up a 4-speed box for his 440 '71 Satellite/RR project. He got it for like $300 so we both assumed it was the 23-spline version. Just for kicks one day at his garage i counted the splines on the input shaft and to my surprise I counted 18 which i triple-checked to be sure. This tranny was taken out of a running, driving car and at most just needs a light freshen up. How much do these usually go for? I'm guessing we should just skip putting it in the car altogether and sell it for extra cash for the project as he would like to ultimately put a t56 Magnum in the satellite and we still need to get a bellhousing, clutch assembly and shifter.

I'm pretty sure those are quite a bit more valuable when compared to the 23 spline units. I believe the 18 spline units were for 440's and Hemi's.

How much more valuable? That I'm not sure, but I guess you can go to Passons Performance or Brewers Performance and look at the price difference so you can use as a gauge.

I just saw an A body one at a swap meet this weekend. The asking price was $850.

Ted

Yup i know about the strength differences those 18-spline boxes are virtually the strongest (and heaviest) 4-speed manuals ever put in passenger cars... i know it's a b-body unit since it has two shifter mount pads. I searched and found a for sale thread where a guy sold one for $700 but it needed a rebuild and looked like sh*t compared to the one we got.

I've seen them for $1500 at some swap meets. Doesn't mean they sold for that though.

I think it will still be more cost-effective to stick with this trans, they aren't made of solid gold like I figured they were lol. We can get a reproduction bellhousing and new flywheel for pretty cheap from Brewer's and a Centerforce clutch setup... altogether quite a bit cheaper than getting a whole setup to put in a T56, certainly more than the $700 or so we might get out of selling this 4-speed trans. Only annoying part is the price of a shifter assembly :pale:

-
Back