18 spline from a 23 spline?

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
Not an a body ,but i have a dart already.I picked up a 69 gtx today! It is a 440 hp 4speed car with the dana 60 track pack 3.54 option. The tag shows this car to have the m21 4 speed option.Would this have came out with a 18 spline trans or a 23? It has a 4 speed in it so i was wondering if there is a way to tell if it is an 18 or a 23 spline trans without pulling it?I would also like to know if it came out with a 18 spline.Any help would be great thanks, Matt

i would think with a 440 ,dana track pack that it would be an 18 spline.. but i'm no expert.

Not an a body ,but i have a dart already.I picked up a 69 gtx today! It is a 440 hp 4speed car with the dana 60 track pack 3.54 option. The tag shows this car to have the m21 4 speed option.Would this have came out with a 18 spline trans or a 23? It has a 4 speed in it so i was wondering if there is a way to tell if it is an 18 or a 23 spline trans without pulling it?I would also like to know if it came out with a 18 spline.Any help would be great thanks, Matt

M21 isn't a 4 speed like in chevy land

Bottom line of tag should have a D21 for a 4 speed and D32 for automatic

The tag would have A32 or A34 for a 4.10 performance package. To the best of my knowledge that car would have an 18 spline.

M21 is a roof drip rail moulding

My mistake The option code is D21 for the trans, and as for the rear it is A33 Had moment of C.R.S.Looked up the D21 shows to be 4 speed manual trans.The A33 shows to be track pack dana 60 with 3.54 gear.

My mistake The option code is D21 for the trans, and as for the rear it is A33 Had moment of C.R.S.Looked up the D21 shows to be 4 speed manual trans.The A33 shows to be track pack dana 60 with 3.54 gear.

I had that same package in a 69 super B and if no one has changed the tranny, for some obscure reason, it will be an 18 spline. I had the same 9 3/4 Dana but I did add dual 4's, headers and a wild cam. it was a hoot but the front drum brakes sucked.

Terry

look on the passengers side of the trans case. near the botton there is a pad with #s stamped and there may also be some #s painted above that pad. the painted #s would be a lot of help. if the #s are
then it should be a 18 spline

The numbers on the side will not tell you if it is an 18 spline or 23 spline. You have to physically look at the input shaft to tell. Take of the inspection cover and look up at the shaft. The 18 spline is noticely larger than the 23 spline.

Yeah, should be an 18 spline. I once owned a 69 Bee with the 440-6 ,4spd., Dana 60, and it was equipped with the 18 spline transmission. I think cars with the track pack were equipped with the 18 spline trans. and I know of people that had the 440, 4spd. cars with the Danas and they were 18 spline.

Thanks for all the replies.I am going to try to get back under it this weekend and look at it more.The inspection cover is off.I also will try to post some pictures tommorrow or the next day.Thanks again ,MAtt

the only difference is in the tailshafts as far as wanting an 18 spline mainbody in the A body with 18 spline. and the power loc super trakpac ended after 1969 and used a 4.10 gear

I also have a factory 4.35 diameter retainer for big block in A body. It has the word steel imprinted into top of the bellhousing if anyones interested

-
Back