18'' wheelo fitment

-

67fishfastback

Reaction score
thinkin about 18/8 and 18/7 coy brand wheels on my 67 cuda fastback! 4.5 backspace on reaer and 4.25 b.s. on front,any thoughts on this!?!?!?!/

I'd love to see it, but have no idea if it would fit. I think those Coys look great.

Clearance issues at lower corner of front fender when the body raises up/shock unloads. I know from experience.....I had to cut 1" out of the front on mine as I had already bought the wheels and couldn't return them.

You would be better off going 17's in the front as you will have more tire size choices.

Check into tires before you purchase your rims to make sure you can get matched sets.

You will see that there are not many choices for 18's.

Good Luck

Mop

17's on the front No issues, Wilwood aftermarket disc kit.
18's in the back No issues.

Just triple check your backspace before buying. I went with BF Goodrich KDW nice agressive tread pattern.

Mike
328pics012.jpg

You would be better off going 17's in the front as you will have more tire size choices.

Check into tires before you purchase your rims to make sure you can get matched sets.

You will see that there are not many choices for 18's.

I'm no expert, but I must disagree with that statement. At this point, I believe there to be as many, if not more choices in 18 than 17.

I do agree though, check your backspace measurements many times over. I'm not doing a stock rebuild so I don't know what will fit, but when I was considering doing an RMS conversion up front, I was looking at 18x8 with the standard Mustang back-spacing.

Well if there are a lot of choices I couldn't find them. 215/45/18 is the only tire short enough to clear the lower front edge of the fender and once the car unloads and you have the wheel turned you catch it.

I tried to find other tires that would work but in the end I had to cut the fender. I will say that I tried to keep the matching tires...BFG KDW's

Now I'm not positive but I have a RMS suspension on the front with the big wilwood brakes.....that may have changed some of the geometry slightly and added to my issues.

Either way just be ready for issues or go 17" in front and you wont have any.

Mop

Here is a pic of the car lowered before I cut the fender.

You can see that when the fender goes up and the tire is turned out in the front (to the left on the driver side) the lower front edge comes into contact with the tire.....bad news.

But as I mentioned...this is probably an issue with RMS and Wilwood brakes.

I wont discount backspacing but these are 8" wide wheels with 5.5" backspace.

Stock suspension, brakes?

I agree with Swisswill on the 17" vs 18".....as many if not more options with 18" tire sizes. With an 18x8, a 40 series tire is about as tall as you wanna go

Pic for reference, fenders are just sitting there, not bolted on (far from stock).

-
Back