1911 nuts!! Need Help

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys! as you know im looking to get into Hwy patrol and that means i need a good side arm... now im old school and dont care for the polymer guns... they dont feel balanced like my old colt 1911 officers...

question is can i get a kimber or Les Baer in an officers size? everything i see is govt.

and the reason im looking at these to is because they hand fit so no jams...

and yes i know it will be 2 grand but it like a snap on tool box... the last one you'll ever buy...

P.S. 45 a must

I have a Smith & Wesson, model 4506 an from what I understand LAPD uses them and is considered old school. Never had a problem with it and takes a lot of abuse..

That's all I gotta say

I have a government model that I love, but for my CC weapon I purchased a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra Compact probably about 10 years ago. Comes from factory with ported barrel, beaver tail safety, and a few other bells and whistles. It also has a double stack mag that will hold 13, if I remember correctly. Mine shoots pretty low due to incorrect after market sites. One day I'll get around to fixing that.

I have a Smith & Wesson, model 4506 an from what I understand LAPD uses them and is considered old school. Never had a problem with it and takes a lot of abuse..

That's all I gotta say

Pretty sure that's the firearm my boss used to carry when he was a detective.

Have you been over to AR15.com there are a lot of guys on there in the handgun section-1911 that talk about the different models, seems a few of those guys buy a gun or two a week.

I heard Kimber was having QC problems but not sure on what model. I have a 1911 Para GI that I have not shot yet and it is my first 1911. I have owned a GLOCK G19 for the past nine years and never a problem with it.

I dont think you can ever say a gun wont jam or have feeding problems. Will you be able to carry Hollow Points? If so make sure to get the feed ramp polished and then try a lot of different ammo and see what works and what doesnt.

I would like to have a Les Baer due to maybe some where down the lines we are related as well as Baer break company.

I have an earlier model Kimber Pro Carry II HD and love it. ( 4" bull barrel ). Check GunBroker; there's usually a quality "officers" available.

LOVE them 1911's

805, have you looked at the Rock Island Armory ( Armscor ) line of 1911's ? We have sold a bunch of the with no complaints and sold 2 to LEO's who think they're great. Check the reviews and the prices are excellent.

Best of luck with the HwyPat

805, have you looked at the Rock Island Armory ( Armscor ) line of 1911's ? We have sold a bunch of the with no complaints and sold 2 to LEO's who think they're great. Check the reviews and the prices are excellent.

Best of luck with the HwyPat

I forgot about the Rock Island. I hear their comandor size has no problems with FTF.

Dont they come in tactical models now as well?

Oh and dont hate on the Rock Islands for where they are made. I read in one of the mags they put one of them and a Charles Daily against the brand name models and put them in mud and water and the Rock and CD never jammed.

I forgot about the Rock Island. I hear their comandor size has no problems with FTF.

Dont they come in tactical models now as well?

Oh and dont hate on the Rock Islands for where they are made. I read in one of the mags they put one of them and a Charles Daily against the brand name models and put them in mud and water and the Rock and CD never jammed.

They have become so popular they're like most everything else nowadays, out of stock and no forecast for in stock.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...omatic+Pistol&cal=All&fin=&sit=&zipcode=61802

You may want to wait to see what your department will let you carry.

I'm not sure how much you shoot but a .45 is pricey shoot compared to a 9mm. I would consider a Beretta FS 92. It is a full frame double action and you will really be ale to practice your fundamentals of marksmanship.

I think you will be sursprised at how many departments carry Glocks.

Good luck in your search. Kimbers are awesome too!.

Not sure to your area. But I know that most if not all are issued Glock's .40 cal. as a primary weapon. Another reason to this is also for changeability of mags and ammo between two or more officers when things get hairy. Second is you will be carrying so much stuff and the lighter you can go the more comfortable you will be. Just takes practice to get confident with it. Back up is of your choice. I know you say you don't like the polymer pistols but I have to say. I wouldn't be caught out with out my Glock. They are what they claim to be. Now I love both of my Kimbers 45 but for ammo capacity and just plain works the Glock goes everywhere I go. And there is tons of stuff for them to. About like for the AR 15 and Ruger 10/22. And a good officers compact 45 shouldn't be no 2000 you can find what you are looking for a lot cheaper. And like what Scuba0331 mentioned just wait to see what is issued out. More than likely whatever is issued you will have plenty of time at the academy to practice. At their expense!

Thanks,
Michael
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Dual State NRA 4-H Youth Rifle Instructor

Not sure to your area. But I know that most if not all are issued Glock's .40 cal. as a primary weapon. Another reason to this is also for changeability of mags and ammo between two or more officers when things get hairy. Second is you will be carrying so much stuff and the lighter you can go the more comfortable you will be. Just takes practice to get confident with it. Back up is of your choice. I know you say you don't like the polymer pistols but I have to say. I wouldn't be caught out with out my Glock. They are what they claim to be. Now I love both of my Kimbers 45 but for ammo capacity and just plain works the Glock goes everywhere I go. And there is tons of stuff for them to. About like for the AR 15 and Ruger 10/22. And a good officers compact 45 shouldn't be no 2000 you can find what you are looking for a lot cheaper.

Thanks,
Michael
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Dual State NRA 4-H Youth Rifle Instructor

yea those kimber's were like 890-1200... and yea im not pulling the trigger till im on the road but i just want to get my ducks in a row... i mean whats better than searching for your fav 1911!

Like others, it was my expereince (32years) that most state agencies Highway Patrol, State Patrol/Police will issue the weapon and ammo. If you are allowed to carry a 2nd weapon then you would have a choice based again on what the agency allowed.

After the S&W 9mm we switched to S&W 40cal. and I bought my issued 4013 tactical. A very sweet weapon.

My agency only bought American made cars and weapons, written into the state constitution.

Good luck in your pursuite of a life in law enforcment. No regretts on this end.

Like others, it was my expereince (32years) that most state agencies Highway Patrol, State Patrol/Police will issue the weapon and ammo. If you are allowed to carry a 2nd weapon then you would have a choice based again on what the agency allowed.

After the S&W 9mm we switched to S&W 40cal. and I bought my issued 4013 tactical. A very sweet weapon.

My agency only bought American made cars and weapons, written into the state constitution.

Good luck in your pursuite of a life in law enforcment. No regretts on this end.

interesting! i'll learn more as i get thru the process... im just baised from my dad info from working D.O.D... he said FBI training had real issues with anything smaller than a .45 due to not going thru sloped windshields... thats why CHP carries .357's... at least they used to...

looks like they are issued a P226/P229 sig sauer .40 cal... but you can by a .45 and use the .40 as backup... will check later down the road...

I shoot HK USP in .40...spendy but no jams after 1200 rounds with out cleaning. Used it in my defensive handgun course. I swear by it now. Whats so great about the 1911..I saw a guy with a tricked out one that jammed so much.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong on this. If you go to a GLOCK in .45 acp you can change out the barrel to a .40, .357 and 10mm.

I believe the 9mm is the only one that will not change out to another cal in the GLOCK.

Also dont forget to get a good holster, they issue Black Hawk serpa here with the finger lock, I really need to get one of those for my G19 and I wouldnt mind to have one for my 1911.

Remember the finish on the high end 1911s wont wear any better then a lower end model with the holster you will be issued.

I really like my GLOCK G19 in 9mm shoots great, dead on and really simple and easy to clean.

You might also look at the S&W M&P line I have seen a few of the officers here carrying those as well. To me the M&P has a 1911 style to me the way it lines up in the hand.

The 1911 was built and made to when you fire it your arm, should and body were all lined up and even. John Browning knew what he was doing when he made this handgun and so many other weapons he designed.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong on this. If you go to a GLOCK in .45 acp you can change out the barrel to a .40, .357 and 10mm.

You can buy aftermarket conversion barrels, but stock Glock barrels do not interchange like that. And the ejection may be weird, since the ejector angles are different.

I have a .40, and a 9mm conversion barrel, and it ejects kinda wussy. I haven't tried any conversion barrels for my 10MM.

I believe the 9mm is the only one that will not change out to another cal in the GLOCK.

Also dont forget to get a good holster, they issue Black Hawk serpa here with the finger lock, I really need to get one of those for my G19 and I wouldnt mind to have one for my 1911.

Remember the finish on the high end 1911s wont wear any better then a lower end model with the holster you will be issued.

I really like my GLOCK G19 in 9mm shoots great, dead on and really simple and easy to clean.

You might also look at the S&W M&P line I have seen a few of the officers here carrying those as well. To me the M&P has a 1911 style to me the way it lines up in the hand.

The 1911 was built and made to when you fire it your arm, should and body were all lined up and even. John Browning knew what he was doing when he made this handgun and so many other weapons he designed.

i was watching them shoot the M&P on history and its a poly to...

before buy anything i will shoot most all of them and see what I like but im a clone of my father so im sure it gotta be a officers 1911 lol...

and yes... john browning was a master of gun smithing... the B.A.R, the 1911, and endless list of amazing weapons...

Some one does make a 1911 that is a poly right now I can't remember who it is.

is it an officers size?

Not sure but here is a link to a blog that guy must have tested one out. They are made by Rock River Arms.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rock-river-arms-polymer-1911/

Try to google as well Polymer 1911s there might be others making them. I don't know if they are making them in officers size. I think when you get to that size it causes a lot of them to have problems and there are a few out on the market that have a good track record. The Rock Island being oen of them.

-
Back