1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Engine Rebuild (Detroit area)

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I've got a buddy (Ray) who inherited his dad's car. It has a straight 6 (I believe he said 217 cid) that needs a rebuild. Is there anyone in the metro-Detroit area that can rebuild this engine?

Who do you know?

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

Probably not a lot to it and generous tolerances.

...I'd think about trying myself.

...and converting to 12v.

NICE car.

There is nothing to rebuilding one of these. They are built like brick s**t houses. Go on-line and find a Chrysler L-head repair manual. The biggest problem you will have is finding an engine stand that will handle the weight.

I used Automotive Machine in Fraser years ago for a rebuild on an Inline 6. They did a great job on it. I know they moved to a new location but I believe they are still around.

I used Automotive Machine in Fraser years ago for a rebuild on an Inline 6. They did a great job on it. I know they moved to a new location but I believe they are still around.

They are on Kelly road between Groesbeck and 14 mile
And they still do quality work.
Ask for Bart

It’s a flathead. Find someone who’s done some of those. They should be able to knock it right out.

If I never did another flathead it would be way too soon. I like them. They are cool but you can spend a bunch of time and effort on them and they still won’t make power.

I bet I have 20, maybe 30 hours of flow bench time on a flathead. I can’t remember if I even gained 2 CFM. What a pisser.

I've got a buddy (Ray) who inherited his dad's car. It has a straight 6 (I believe he said 217 cid) that needs a rebuild. Is there anyone in the metro-Detroit area that can rebuild this engine?

Who do you know?

View attachment 1715981427

View attachment 1715981428

@krazykuda Karl is up around Chicago. I bet he knows someone around there.

My head guy can most likely do it... He can rebuild anything from heads to whole engines...

He once modified an old Model T engine to be self oiling rocker arms vs the felt pads that had to be maintained every 100 miles...

He's retired from the Chrysler engine plant and does great work at reasonable prices...

If you need his contact info, PM me.... He's in Dearborn Heights not far off of I-94 and Telegraph Road...

He even does valve jobs on small personal airplanes... (the small private piston engine ones, Cessna, etc...)

They are on Kelly road between Groesbeck and 14 mile
And they still do quality work.
Ask for Bart

Jeff & Mr. Sinister,

Bart, from Automotive Machine, is the gentleman who did the machine work on my 318 over the 2021-2022 winter. My engine builder, Doug (from Port Huron), sends all his work to Bart. Sadly, Doug isn't interested in doing a rebuild on the old Plymouth.

If it doesn’t need machine work, the worst part of rebuilding it yourself is either replacing the water distribution tube (usually stuck really good) or grinding the valves. And seating them.

Word of warning on that water distribution tube, even if you get a professional rebuild, make sure they get all of the old one out and install the new one.

The carb is an easy rebuild. Plan on a new water pump and fuel pump. I have used both a new Airtex and Carter fuel pump on my 53 Dodge truck - both failed with less than 2000 miles in the same manner. The drift pin that holds the pump arm to the body of the pump fell out.

A call over the Darryl at Auto Parts Machine Shop in Ann Arbor would be my suggestion. He rebuilds all my motors, and everybody I know takes their stuff there. He knows Mopars, and is probably your best bet.

And they aren’t kidding about the engine being heavy, and on the stand, it’s very top heavy. I have toppled more than one stand while rotating the engine.

Go to the P15-D24.com website. LOTS of flathead Mopar guys there and they are very helpful

-
Back