1958 392 Hemi

-

JohnBeGood

Reaction score
I want to put a blown 58 392 hemi in a 68 barracuda can it be done with any available kit front ends out there? I also want to use hot heads full length headers too!

Not what you're asking, but why? That car needs a 426. Those old Hemis are boat anchors. Let me take that 392 off your hands for my Desoto.

it can be done I think schumacker (sp?) has conversion mounts. those 392's can make some power also. with the time and $ you'll have into the 392 you could have built a killer stroked small block though. Good luck with it and keep us posted on what ever you deside.

i've always wanted a 392 hemi for my 69 cuda, but everybody has always swayed my from it. I still havent decided yet but i wanna put a 392 hemi in it, just to be cool.

8)

Bottom line is that you can do what you want.......... I'd give my eye teeth for a nice 392.........They started it all..........The most nostalgic motor I could think of, and one heck of a conversation piece..........Done right, they are really an eye popper too............

I think your Cuda would be great with a 392, blown or not...............2 cents, from a hopeless drag racing romantic. :read2:

a stock 392 is 750lbs. now lets add a blower,2 pulleys,belt and another carb at 100lbs. getting a little front heavy are we. best bet is to start with a donovan aluminum block and heads, they are on the used parts market and should shave off 250-300lbs. do plenty of research and you'll find the parts out there.

A Hemi is sure nice to see under the hood and as mentioned the 392 can make some good power and you probably can find a kit to install it in your Cuda but you better have deep pockets cause Hemi anything means alot of money. If you have one already and it's decent at all you can probably sell it for as much as a small block stroker costs new.

Bob has a good point about the weight too. Hemi A-bodies aren't great driving cars. Just real fast cars.

hey, i plan on putting a 331 Firepower Hemi into my 64 dart as part of a straight-axle gasser conversion. The early Hemi's are just about the coolest motors on earth.
my .02
-Tim

A guy I went to college with put a 392 in a 70 Cuda. I still have the radiator he had intended on putting in it

hey, i plan on putting a 331 Firepower Hemi into my 64 dart as part of a straight-axle gasser conversion. The early Hemi's are just about the coolest motors on earth.
my .02
-Tim

Recreating a straight axle gasser would be cool. That would be the best use of it.

A guy in school had an old Imperial, 59 i think that had a 392 and 2 carters and that car was FAST. would put some "hot cars" to shame and could smoke-em almost at will. was always burnout king on the last day of school.
I say go for it, if its nose heavy then use C-body bars for em, thats what they were made for.

If you wanna do it and have wanted to do it and have the resources to do it then... DO IT WHILE YOU CAN instead of regretting that you didn't do it.....

http://www.hothemiheads.com/

Have you checked out the aluminum heads and parts for early hemis at Hot Heads?

0.titleblack.gif

Still waiting for you to send that motor my way. I'm telling you. It'll save you a lot of headache.

I've got a NE57, I'm going to do something with it one of these days. You can get that 392 to weigh less than a stock sb Cheby with Hot Heads aluminum heads and intake and Cheby water pump and stuff.

-
Back