1960 Valiant - Should I Super Six???

-

jkallen83

Reaction score
My 1960 Valiant has the 170 /6 one barrel carb. A friend give me a complete super six setup.

Question is, should i install this on my car? Will it benefit me and how?

go to slant six.org & research the 170,

to me no, the 170 is lackluster at best in the torque department, a 225 it would make a difference. Lawrence

Thats what im trying to find out if its worth the work to install it. This is my everyday driver so no racing. Just Alabama hills to climb and get me around.. it does that now but always looking for improvement especially since the Super Six is in my hands. But if the difference is not noticeable then may not be worth it. If there is benefits, then ill do it.

no experience with the super six-- but have experience with the 170 in a 1962 valiant, the thing was ok , could not get into traffic in flat Kansas--- Swapped a used 225 in night & day difference same intake/exhaust/carb-- just more cubes.

since you have the super-- maybe, if you have a manual 4 speed. Lawrence

I say yes it will make a difference. It won't be a screamer but it will go faster especially if you fatten up the stock exhaust pipe. You don't have to go crazy with it, just bump it up to 2" or so. I did a super six setup on my 67 Barracuda and love it. Your car is even lighter so go for it, you won't regret it.

from experience, the super six makes quite a bit of difference in the 225, no exp. worth the 170.. sorry.....

like said, ask this in slantsix.org also, bunch of exp there .....

I'd bet you can get a running 225 for next to nothing without travelling far. Slap a super six on that and the difference will be night and day.

Some like the 170 due to shorter stroke, it is able to reach redline quicker than 225. Mopar ran a modified Valiant 170 in a compact car race at Daytona in 1961. One week prior to the Daytona 500 drivers competed in a first-ever 150 mile "compact car" race. Lee Petty won the race contested on the 3.1 mile infield track in a 1960 Valiant with an average speed of 83.546 miles per hour. Among the modifications was a long ram manifold with a 4 bbl carburetor. The next year, same event, same results with a 225. NASCAR never attempted to run the event again.

Since your investment for the addition of the super 6 components is minimal, why not keep the 170 and try it. If you don't like it, move on to the 225.

if the intake and exhaust and what not is the same. why not? then if you want swap over to a 225

There is no way i will change to a 225. I got the car with just over 41,000 original miles and now just rolled over to 61,000 original miles. She runs PERFECT. Not sure i even want to install the Super Six but since i have it i wanted to find out if it would benefit me or not.

From your last response do not swap , drive your 170 as is& sell/save your super six for another project. You are the only one that can answer your supersix question, there is enough debate thAt switching to As 2 bbl might not offer the hoped for improvemnet

It will make the mileage fall off and have almost no noticeable change in power. Were it a 225, it would be different. But not much.

It will make the mileage fall off and have almost no noticeable change in power. Were it a 225, it would be different. But not much.

I disagree, your power improvement will be noticeable and you gas mileage will change slightly (you don't get more power from nothing).

-
Back