1962 VALIANT/6 to V8 SWAP

-
You will have to notch or eliminate the heater box for distributor clearance. The battery tray is very close to the valve cover. Most everything else is 64-66 V8 specific parts.

Usually the heater box has to go, but never say never...
Engine swap 62 Valiant
Early A motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, center link and throttle assembly should get you most of the way there.
Heck, in 1962 Dodge had Dragmasters shoehorn a 413 Max Wedge into a '62 Lancer (basically the same platform as the Valiant) for A/FX racing- they then published General Bulletin #394 to tell everybody how to do it themselves.

I've heard installing a big block with the exhaust manifolds dumping out the front is easier than a small block.
I know there is at least one on YouTube with a 383.

I want to do this in my 62 Lancer GT. I will be reading everyone’s response. Thanks

Usually the heater box has to go, but never say never...
Engine swap 62 Valiant
Early A motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, center link and throttle assembly should get you most of the way there.
Heck, in 1962 Dodge had Dragmasters shoehorn a 413 Max Wedge into a '62 Lancer (basically the same platform as the Valiant) for A/FX racing- they then published General Bulletin #394 to tell everybody how to do it themselves.
My Lancer is a Florida car, I found a new purpose for all that heater stuff.
What you can't see is a small CF ducted fan being fed from the windshield cowl inlet side cooling the back side of the pictured electronics controlled by a time delayed relay to help reduce heat upon shutdown.

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:
As mentioned above early A motor mounts, exhaust manifolds or headers, dropped V8 center link, cable throttle assembly, a notch put into the transmission crossmember and a V8 transmission or bellhousing.

Several years ago there was a 62 Valiant in Salt Lake City that had a 416 under the hood. I remember that it had Spitfire headers on it and he had removed the original heater and put a heater/ac unit from an aftermarket supplier under the dash. It was a very nice looking installation. I wish I had noted who made that heater unit. (What I really wish is that I would have bought that car when I saw it ....but I didn't and a couple of weeks later it was sold:()

-
Back