1963 B Body 8 3/4

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
i have an 8 3/4 b body rear end from 1963.
its the one with the tapered axles and i want to put it in my duster, also i have a 3.55 sure grip 489 case that i want to install into the housing.
i saw somewhere that there may be issues with the pre 65 axle assemblies that would make interchanging difficult.

anybody have any knowledge on this i already know about the drum hub swedged problem and can take care of that just really want to know if i should attempt it or if i should look for another housing and just build it up

............Best to see if u can get axles and bearings to convert to the 65 up style......talk to Cass at Doctor Diff.com.........those housiongs and axles will only accept the clutch type sure grip....the cone type block is 1/8 in wider than the pins in the clutch type............kim.......

My buddy put stock E-body axles in place of the tapered axles in his 62 chrysler 300. They might work for you but not sure.

Could be Kim but he has been driving the car for a while now. I know they are E-body axles because they came out of my 73 Cuda. I was not there when he put them in but he is not a dummy. He's been wrenching at least 30 years and ran an econo dragster for a while.

I used B body axles, green axle bearings, and newer style 10 x 2.5 brake backing plates to convert mine.

Well I talked to my buddy and i did not realize he swapped out his housing with a E-body one he had. No wonder my axles worked.

Cass at Dr.Diff told me that you need to change out the axle end studs to longer ones (he has them) on pre-65 8 3/4 housings. I did it to mine along with a set of axles that I got from him at last years MATS show.

-
Back