1963 Dart 170 Slant Six question

-

Bearhawke

Reaction score
I may be picking up a 1963 Dart 4 door sedan next week (assuming it is still for sale).

The car is a 170 Slant Six with a 3 spd column shift.

Since this thing has that #$%^*& non synchro low gear; is there a 'bolt-in' 3 spd from, say a 1970's A-F body that would replace it? I realize I may need to switch out the bellhousing.

Too: would fitting the 225 Super Six intake/carb be worth the effort for a bit more power? The present engine seems to be tight (no smoke), just a slight miss which may mandate a valve adjustment.

Needless to say: those nasty ol' 9" drum brakes with their attendant 5 on 4" bolt pattern 13" wheels will disappear in lieu of the 1973+ disc brake swap and matching rear end (even a 7 1/4" would suffice).

Congrats on the new car. Just wanted to chime in and say if you are getting rid of any parts, keep me in mind. This goes for the interior and exterior. If it has the original radio that works and you don't want, let me know. I also have a super six intake and most of a 2bbl carb I am not going to use. Hope the car is still there when you go to get it.

Congrats on the new car. Just wanted to chime in and say if you are getting rid of any parts, keep me in mind. This goes for the interior and exterior. If it has the original radio that works and you don't want, let me know. I also have a super six intake and most of a 2bbl carb I am not going to use. Hope the car is still there when you go to get it.

Time will tell..............I will let everyone know if I can get the Dart or not :)

Not a "bolt in". I know the driveshaft is different. 63 had a flange on the rear of the trans, where the later all synco 3 spd has a slip spline. the speedo hookup is also different, but is solved by using a 66 "A" body cable. I am not sure about the bell housing. I have both types of trans/bell housing, and will try to measure. Also not sure if the 63 shift linkage will connect to the later trans without mods.

The super six with a good carb is a wothwhile improvement, along with a larger exhaust system off the stock manifold.
PS: there is no difference in performance in the 1 bbl or 2bbl exhaust manifolds. only difference is the choke pocket, for the auto choke, and the 1 bbl manifold pocket can be easily modfied.

Not a "bolt in". I know the driveshaft is different. 63 had a flange on the rear of the trans, where the later all synco 3 spd has a slip spline. the speedo hookup is also different, but is solved by using a 66 "A" body cable. I am not sure about the bell housing. I have both types of trans/bell housing, and will try to measure. Also not sure if the 63 shift linkage will connect to the later trans without mods.

The super six with a good carb is a wothwhile improvement, along with a larger exhaust system off the stock manifold.
PS: there is no difference in performance in the 1 bbl or 2bbl exhaust manifolds. only difference is the choke pocket, for the auto choke, and the 1 bbl manifold pocket can be easily modfied.

Trust me: if I indeed get the car and switch out the OEM 3 spd; I would have no problem pitching that Trunnion driveline at all for a true double U joint style piece. :toothy10:

-
Back