1963 Dart Restoration Questions

-

oldgraig64

Reaction score
I’ve picked up an early 318 that I am rebuilding and planning to drop in. It was a \6 engine car with a A727 pushbutton auto. From what I’ve gather I will need a 727 SB or 904 as the current trans won’t bolt up.

My main question is can I find a 904 and convert to floor shift instead of push button with aftermarket shift setups such as hurst or whatever.

2nd question, what are the best sites for purchasing floor pans and body panels?

3rd questions does anyone have links to aftermarket painless wiring kits for ignition, lights, etc.

I have all the tools and skills to do the job just haven’t done it on gas rigs before. Diesel shop and background currently.

IMG_0657.jpeg

IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! That’s some investigative skills right there. Amazing story.

Looks like good "bones" to work with!

You have reeled-in a 1963 Dodge Dart. The firewall has a protrusion for the wiper motor that does not play well with the SBM distributor (fixable but more work/parts.) A slant six engine fits without modifications. AMD is a great supplier for floor pans. The car came with a Push Button 904 (not a 727.) If you don't want to go with a PB 904 the next simplest option is a 66-up 904, which will need a good number of adaptations. (Keep in mind that the crank register diameter changed in 1968.) I'm sure many here will chime-in but safe to say there is lots to consider here- use the search function to investigate your project before spending your money. Cheers - M

You are diving into deep waters of expense and headache Nothing you can’t handle with a diesel experience background but oddities and eccentricities abound with your current concept or plan.

Transmission case size is different, shifter cables are different length. Input shaft is different. Output shaft is different and the factory rear end was mated with ball and trunion driveshaft like the old trucks.

Don’t discount the power of a slant/inline six. I’m sure you are familiar being a diesel guy.
it can be a torquey engine with the proper build.

Keeping the slant and push button 904 will be much easier and you can drop that money into disc brakes and upgraded suspemsion instead of retro fits that offer minimal if any improvement.

Just my two cents. Either way- it’s super cool of you to build this for her. Very nice thing to do. Best of luck regardless of course chosen
Brian

what year 318? that will flavor your options transmission wise.

but a 904 can be made floor shift with stock or aftermarket components.

the sheet metal is out there, but you'll need to be patient. save your ducats for the headlight ring$ and other trim.

sounds like fun project!

I saw your car at the Kellyville swap meet and really thought it was cool! Great story as well. Glad you found it!

Ill revisit the engine later. Decided and ordered basically all new everything suspension, brake, and steering wise for under the car. Figured id get it rolling safely then move on to interior and floor pans and maybe be broke enough by the end to just drop a slant 6 back in and call it good.

Not sure about anything else, but you will need to "modify" the firewall for the distributor. it will hit the bumpout of the wiper motor.

Rotating with the Offy linkage kit. Worked perfectly. I used a filter on the front one that is 3/4” shorter than the stock rear one. Picked it out of the Wix catalog where they show the sizes

Craig: I have a 63 270 conv. Bought it in 2020. These early A bodies are hard to get decent parts for. The brake drums are on tapered shafts.I kept the drum set up but replaced the rear axles and drums so repairs would not be the night mare they are when tapered. You will need to do that, for drum or disc. I also replaced the front spindles to non tapered.I replaced the fruit bowl master cylinder to dual bowl and vacuum boost, I kept the 6 cyl since it is my wife’s car and really did not want to deal with all that swapping a V8 entails. Your body style came with the small drum brakes so you would need to go to the GT brake set up. Then there is the steering, it uses the same sterring box as the C body and it is hard to put in place. I also installed the typicall under dash AC unit( like they did back then).
The wheel bolt pattern is 5x4 very hard to get rims for.
Your car has 13 “ rims and only the C body that bolt pattern for a few years so getting 14“ rims is both expensive and difficult. The only place I found any reasonable amount of useable parts was MOPAR Carlisle Pa, in August.That is where i found suppliers and rebuilders and parts and pieces.
Parts I bought on line have been mediocre.
Very few people deal in 63/66 A body items .
If you buy on line make sure they will re embutse you, some just give you credit. This model is NOT like a Chevelle or Mustang where endless people sell every possible part.
OEM even old stuff is FAR BETTER than the new made in China offerings.Hope this helps.

79D811F9-49B6-42FD-8D32-30BA52BE267C.png

CCD604BA-EAC8-41EE-AB9A-16CD735E55E4.png

Not sure about anything else, but you will need to "modify" the firewall for the distributor. it will hit the bumpout of the wiper motor.
I have
heard" a 383 will fit and with the dist. in front of engine, that would solve the firewlll mess. I can sell ya a 383!!! Maybe a a little hard with plugs and exh.manifolds!!??? :thumbsup: :BangHead: :popcorn:

-
Back