1963 Dart swap to cable throttle?

-

Little_red_dart

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm working on putting a two barrel carb and intake on my slant 6.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount an after market throttle pedal. Are there any "off the shelf" solutions, or do I need to use a universal pedal?

Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

64,65 or 66 early A V8 cable and bracket is probably the easiest way to do it.

Last edited:
64,65 or 66 early A V8 cable is probably the easiest way to do it.
If you want to duplicate the factory setup then you'll need a 65-66 V8 pedal too.
I'm sure someone on here has adapted a 67-72 a-body pedal.

The 63 A body firewall was designed for a slant six only. It was modified in 64 to accommodate a 273 V8 or a six. So the 63 firewall is one year only, and a 64-66 V8 throttle bracket won't fit a 63 firewall, as there is an electrical junction right in the way.

A 67-72 A-body pedal can be lightly modified to fit (slight trim, bend, one extra bolt), with the cable running through the firewall where the slant bellcrank went. On my 63 Valiant, I cut the swing pedal off and welded on a 64-66 V8 spoon, then used a 64-66 V8 pedal. Looks original unless you get on your knees and look up under the dash, and once you put on a new firewall pad (if you do), you'd have to look close to realize it's not a 64-66 V8 throttle bracket. The 64-66 V8 pedals are getting harder to find and not so cheap these days, but the 67-72 swing pedal will work, too; it just won't look original - if that even matters to you.

DSCF0016.jpg
20191115_135321.jpg

And here's what the cable setup looks like under the hood. This one has a four barrel, but the the cable brackets are modified two barrel, and the two barrel setup would look mostly the same.

PS: I've changed the battery and voltage regulator since this pic was taken.

DSCF0087.jpg

The 63 A body firewall was designed for a slant six only. It was modified in 64 to accommodate a 273 V8 or a six. So the 63 firewall is one year only, and a 64-66 V8 throttle bracket won't fit a 63 firewall, as there is an electrical junction right in the way.

A 67-72 A-body pedal can be lightly modified to fit (slight trim, bend, one extra bolt), with the cable running through the firewall where the slant bellcrank went. On my 63 Valiant, I cut the swing pedal off and welded on a 64-66 V8 spoon, then used a 64-66 V8 pedal. Looks original unless you get on your knees and look up under the dash, and once you put on a new firewall pad (if you do), you'd have to look close to realize it's not a 64-66 V8 throttle bracket. The 64-66 V8 pedals are getting harder to find and not so cheap these days, but the 67-72 swing pedal will work, too; it just won't look original - if that even matters to you.

View attachment 1715645995 View attachment 1715645996

You did a really nice job on that! Looks factory.

And here's what the cable setup looks like under the hood. This one has a four barrel, but the the cable brackets are modified two barrel, and the two barrel setup would look mostly the same.

PS: I've changed the battery and voltage regulator since this pic was taken.

View attachment 1715645999
Thanks for the great info! Now it's time for the scavenger hunt.

View attachment 1715645995 View attachment 1715645996
I really like this setup and I'm planning to replicate it in my 63 Valiant. I'm curious about the V8 pedal and what the backside looks like. How does the spoon ride on the pedal and what differentiates it from the Slant 6 pedal. I have 2 early pedals, one in my car (rotating rod style) the other i picked up with some parts and I don't know if it's the one I need. Do you know the part number of your pedal or have a pic of the backside so I know what to look for? Thanks!

I really like this setup and I'm planning to replicate it in my 63 Valiant. I'm curious about the V8 pedal and what the backside looks like. How does the spoon ride on the pedal and what differentiates it from the Slant 6 pedal. I have 2 early pedals, one in my car (rotating rod style) the other i picked up with some parts and I don't know if it's the one I need. Do you know the part number of your pedal or have a pic of the backside so I know what to look for? Thanks!

Here's an old ad on FABO that shows the front and back side of the V8 pedal. One is missing the nylon rub pad, other has it. For Sale: Early A-Body V8 Gas Pedal Valiant Dart Barracuda

And it looks like Detroit Muscle Technologies offers a new reproduction (without the nylon pad?). Mopar A Body 63-66 Accelerator Gas Pedal (for V8 cars)

To use the V8 pedal, you would also need the 64-66 V8 firewall throttle bracket so you could cut the spoon off it. Or maybe adapt something similar, but I have no idea right off hand what might work.

Last edited:
Here's an old ad on FABO that shows the front and back side of the V8 pedal. One is missing the nylon rub pad, other has it. For Sale: Early A-Body V8 Gas Pedal Valiant Dart Barracuda

And it looks like Detroit Muscle Technologies offers a new reproduction (without the nylon pad?). Mopar A Body 63-66 Accelerator Gas Pedal (for V8 cars)

To use the V8 pedal, you would also need the 64-66 V8 firewall throttle bracket so you could cut the spoon off it. Or maybe adapt something similar, but I have no idea right off hand what might work.

Thanks so much. I have 2 slant 6 pedals then! I do have the V8 firewall throttle bracket and most of the other parts needed so I might just get the repro from DMT. Thanks for the link. I see you also used the rod style kickdown. I've read (forgot where) that there are firewall clearance issues with the rod linkage in the 63 with an A904, so I was considering a Lokar cable but I do have the rod linkage that came with the super six, so maybe that'll work fine. Guess I'll assess it when the engine and trans is actually in the car! Appreciate the help.

Thanks so much. I have 2 slant 6 pedals then! I do have the V8 firewall throttle bracket and most of the other parts needed so I might just get the repro from DMT. Thanks for the link. I see you also used the rod style kickdown. I've read (forgot where) that there are firewall clearance issues with the rod linkage in the 63 with an A904, so I was considering a Lokar cable but I do have the rod linkage that came with the super six, so maybe that'll work fine. Guess I'll assess it when the engine and trans is actually in the car! Appreciate the help.

The kickdown rod (rod from the intake/exhaust manifold throttle bracket down to the trans) I'm using is two pieces spliced together - the top half is the super six kickdown rod, bottom half is the original 63 kickdown rod. Just measure, cut in two, then weld together. That's if you're using the original 63 pushbutton 904. If you're gonna use a later trans, I can't say whether you could use any part of the original 63 kd rod, but the super six kd rod can always be bent, cut, lengthened, shortened etc, if there's any firewall interference. To me, that would be easier than trying to set up a Lokar cable, but I know many would disagree with me on that.

Such great info, thanks again. I have the 63 A904 with original linkage and the super six linkage as well so I'm sure now that I can make it work.

-
Back