1963 Dodge Dart Station Wagon Starter(canadian)

-

Aball

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a slant six engine for my 1963 Dodge Dart Station Wagon. Originally slant six 225 with pushbutton auto trans. The engine I am rebuilding is a 1967 slant six. It's getting the Aussie Speed Hurricane 4 barrel intake, machine work, cam etc. and dutra dual exhaust manifolds. Now with regards to the Dutra Duals I am told that I need to get a mini start to clear (and it looks like it too) as the spacing is pretty tight. I have picked up a '93 dodge dakota starter and it is much smaller and may fit but I think a clockable/adjustabe starter would be even better. Does anyone know a part number that would work? Also I see mention of direct drive starters being used on 1963 - 1966 canadian slant six cars...will using a new mini starter cause a problem as I believe they are all gear reduction starters?

Any input is much appreciated!

IMG_2018.jpg

/6 Trucks and taxis had direct drive starters. I used to have one and I think I scrapped It because nobody wanted it, I will have to do some looking and see if I can find it.

I am rebuilding a slant six engine for my 1963 Dodge Dart Station Wagon. Originally slant six 225 with pushbutton auto trans. The engine I am rebuilding is a 1967 slant six. It's getting the Aussie Speed Hurricane 4 barrel intake, machine work, cam etc. and dutra dual exhaust manifolds. Now with regards to the Dutra Duals I am told that I need to get a mini start to clear (and it looks like it too) as the spacing is pretty tight. I have picked up a '93 dodge dakota starter and it is much smaller and may fit but I think a clockable/adjustabe starter would be even better. Does anyone know a part number that would work? Also I see mention of direct drive starters being used on 1963 - 1966 canadian slant six cars...will using a new mini starter cause a problem as I believe they are all gear reduction starters?

Any input is much appreciated!

View attachment 1715282897

Did you buy your Dutra Headers from Aussie Speed? Your starter is the same as my starter, I sent a photo to Aussie Speed inquiring if this starter will work, they assured me it will. My reason for asking was based on images I have seen where guys had to grind part of the flange off ones made by Doug Dutra. Looks like you are ready to go, why not try it and see? I ordered a set of headers, but I'm a long way off fitting them to the car so I'm quite interested to see where this goes...

Ok, I got a starter that is listed for a 93 Dodge Dakota and it looks like it should fit. Smaller than the original for sure. Luckily my starter was a gear reduction starter and not direct drive so this should work. I'll post pics when I get to that stage.

Yeah, I bought the intake and headers from Aussie Speed. Looking forward to getting it all installed - hopefully not too long from now and seeing what it can do.

-
Back