1963 Signet 200

-

69 340 dart

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant Signet 200. Now comes the hard part, what to do with the car. It has the /6 with a 3 on the tree. I'm not sure if the 273 was available in 63 or not, maybe some one can help me out with that info. The car is complete, for some reason a prior owner started with a cam replacement and ran out of beer or it got to hot. I live in Arizona. The car also has A/C and cruise control. Another question some one can help me with is the cruise, it looks add on but with factory features such as control knobs.

I had a 65 Valiant 100 with 273/ 3 speed in high school and if any thing that would be the car I'd be most interested in. I also have a 69 340 Dart that is in need of body work.

Bottom line is I would like to sell or trade the 63 for a 65 or if I sell the 63 use the money for the 69 Dart.

Thank you
Brent
69 340 Dart

"64 was the first year for V8 in an A-body. The firewall, heater box and wiper motor are all intrusive to the engine bay on '63 and earlier cars. They can be made to fit with mods though.

Unsure about differences in heater boxes, I've never compared the two. Both are under the dash so I doubt it is a big obstacle. The firewall is slightly different on a 63 compared to a 64-66, as mentioned above. The wiper motor moved slightly (still under dash) and the later firewalls had a small depression for distributor clearance which could be added with hammer if needed. The V8 cars had cable throttles, and slant cars had rod linkage, so a 63 firewall would need to be drilled for a cable. The other engine compartment difference is the radiator support. 63's only had 19" radiators, while the later cars could accept common 22" radiators. The hole can be made bigger to fit a later radiator with a saw.

Otherwise standard early-A swap issues like drop steering center link, and exhaust hassles apply.

I have a 63 Signet with slant six and automatic. I just love to drive this car! I can cruise at or above 70 on the highway. Always get thumbs up when I drive and people at a local cruise in just love the car. Good luck with your plans.

My thought is don't waste time and effort and cash on something you don't want. Theres nothing wrong with enjoying the '63 as is - just dont make a big project out of it, with AC its a pretty usable cruiser. look for a nice'65 & Sell the '63 when you find it.

Another thread with plenty of good advice. i have a '63 and i am happy with the slant - but it sure isn't an 8.
Drive and enjoy it for what it is, and they're terrific. My 2 cents.

Also, good advice to enjoy this one while you look for a 273 '65

64 was the first year for the v8, in 63 the wiper motor sticks out and will hit the v8 distributor unless you hammer the firewall..

Thanks to every one that put there 2 cents worth in about my 63 Valiant.
That is what I wanted. Every one has an idea of there own. I think I'm going to get the /6 running and drive it around a bit.
The car is for sale at any time.

Thank's to all
Brent

My very first car was a 63 Valiant slant six push button (225). With a few mods, it burned rubber and ran with some sb V8s. I wish I still had that car.

-
Back