1963 Valiant Seat Compatibility

-

Makatm

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a re-post or just common knowledge. I just bought a 1963 Valiant Convertible and the previous owner installed bucket seats from a mustang. I am looking to get those things out and replace them with a split bench.
This is my 1st project car and I am new to the world of Mopar. What are my options? What years and models are compatible to the '63 Valiant?
Am I wrong in my research that a V200 convertible had a bench, or was it bucket from the beginning?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

front seat.jpg

I apologize if you already knew this, the "fender tag" can usually be decoded to pretty much answer your questions, but not so much with the "early" A bodies. They didn't put that much detail on them then. You may never know exactly which seat configuration was there at the original build. Every 63 Valiant convertible that I've ever seen had buckets like what yours is sporting ( not Fords obviously). I'm a bit of a "nut" when it comes down to "how the car was built to be", my limited experience runs a bit to the later vintage to be really of much help here.

Your "post" will fall off the front page of the FABO site soon. Re-post it because you are in the right place for this answer. Someone here has your answer...just gotta get them to see the question

I apologize if you already knew this, the "fender tag" can usually be decoded to pretty much answer your questions, but not so much with the "early" A bodies. They didn't put that much detail on them then. You may never know exactly which seat configuration was there at the original build. Every 63 Valiant convertible that I've ever seen had buckets like what yours is sporting ( not Fords obviously). I'm a bit of a "nut" when it comes down to "how the car was built to be", my limited experience runs a bit to the later vintage to be really of much help here.

Your "post" will fall off the front page of the FABO site soon. Re-post it because you are in the right place for this answer. Someone here has your answer...just gotta get them to see the question

Thanks for the advice!

Forgive me if this is a re-post or just common knowledge. I just bought a 1963 Valiant Convertible and the previous owner installed bucket seats from a mustang. I am looking to get those things out and replace them with a split bench.
This is my 1st project car and I am new to the world of Mopar. What are my options? What years and models are compatible to the '63 Valiant?

Any A body 63-66 split bench seats are the interchange.

Am I wrong in my research that a V200 convertible had a bench, or was it bucket from the beginning?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

View attachment 1715191895

If the V200 was the top of the line, then most likely it would have come with buckets (that interchange was only 63-65). 66 Buckets were much more narrow than 63-65 but will also work if the floor is re-drilled for the narrower seat tracks. I know later 64/66 Top if the line models were the Signets but don’t know about 63s.

Welcome to the camp. I have a 64 v200 convertible with a bench seat.

Your 63 would not have been available with buckets, a bench seat was standard. Buckets were standard in the top of the line Signet and not available in the lesser v100 and v200. Convertibles were only available in the v200 or Signet. Only a 170 or 225 slant six was available in 63 and a 3 speed manual on the column was standard. 1964 was the first year a 4 speed was available and it's also the first year for the 273 V8.

Those seats actually look pretty good in your car. I'd just enjoy the car as is for awhile, making sure it's good mechanically.

Thanks for the help! If I am following, any 63-66 A Body benches and 63-65 buckets will work.

The seats I have are nice enough, but after going to a swap meet/show this weekend, the mustang seats look scrawny and there is just something about cruising with a bench seat.

Thanks for the help! If I am following, any 63-66 A Body benches and 63-65 buckets will work.

The seats I have are nice enough, but after going to a swap meet/show this weekend, the mustang seats look scrawny and there is just something about cruising with a bench seat.

I changed mine out to later model seating. they are much more comfortable on longer trips. no I dodn't want bench seating since I am making my console with all the later day goodies. ie USB, 12v inverter, cup holders and power window switches

Rear seat 98 sebring. I have to narrow it a bit at the armrest to the top (1/2 inch per side so the top folds down right ) and build a platform so the FWD seats fit the RWD car tunnel
DSCF2878.JPG

front seats going in @ reinforcement areas love my power seats. (seatbelts are ok too (per wife's orders)
DSCF2882.jpg
DSCF2883.jpg

-
Back