1963 Valiant

-
I was told once that the '63 model had some weird heater box that protrudes into the engine bay and makes it impossible to install a V8. The "fix" is to pull the heater box and patch the hole?

True or you can just cut down the small block distributor shaft 2 inches and weld it back. Pick your poison lol

You have a picture of how you modified the firewall? Just curious as to how you did it. Here's a pic from an early sixties Hot Rod Magazine article on swapping a 273 into a 63 Dart:

View attachment 1715876963

I thought about putting a small block in my 63 Valiant convertible, but decided to stick with the slant six, mostly because I already have two small block A bodies and slant sixes do make nice, smooth drivers capable of cruising at any reasonable speed you might want to go.

View attachment 1715876964

We sliced the firewall just below the wiper bolts and modified the wall and rewelded and refinished. Of course, at the time, we didn't know we had to do this so the engine bay had been painted. A couple of after pics included.

IMG_20160408_184424.jpg

IMG_20160410_162432.jpg

IMG_20160120_162241.jpg

IMG_20160517_192305.jpg

Last edited:
We sliced the firewall just below the wiper bolts and modified the wall and rewelded and refinished.

Well, that is just slick. I figured it would be a more professional looking job than the pop-riveted deal in the magazine article (and what did they do with the windshield wiper motor??)

Of course, at the time, we didn't know we had to do this so the engine bay had been painted. A couple of after pics included.

Ain't that the way it always works? But you did a great job. Have to keep it in mind if I ever swap in a V8. (At my age, doubt it.)

Well, that is just slick. I figured it would be a more professional looking job than the pop-riveted deal in the magazine article (and what did they do with the windshield wiper motor??)

Ain't that the way it always works? But you did a great job. Have to keep it in mind if I ever swap in a V8. (At my age, doubt it.)

Thanks. My 6 was shot and my brother had this spare built 360 sitting around. A few rums later ....

Your 6 looks great

-
Back