1964 273 introduction

-

urchinhead

San Francisco, CA
Reaction score
I just bought a technical service manual for my '64 Dart that a mechanic, who also bought a brand new Dart in 1964, had in his garage. There is no mention of the 273 V8, only the poly 318 and 361s that were in the bigger cars. Does anyone know if the 273 was introduced later in the model year, like what Ford did with many of their cars?

I have never heard of a 1964 1/2 Dart, so maybe the 273 is to be found in a separate companion manual?

From Allpar.com
The LA family was introduced in 1964 with the 273; the primary difference between the A and the LA was the new lightweight casting technique, which saved a great deal of weight (and was ahead of its time).

Yes the 273 was offered halfway through the year. I have a few Old Motor Trends from back in 64 and they even discuss it being a middle of the year offer. With the chevy IIs, falcons, and new mustangs having v8s, the valiant and dart finally got the v8 option to go play with the other boys.

I have a 64 Dart with the 273 - it was purchased in January of 1964 and
was one of the early 273s. The factory owners manual for the Dart only mentions the 170 and 225 slant six motors. I have the original insert that
Dodge prepared with the specs. on the 273 when it was introduced mid year.

I've collected some really good articles on the early 273 - be happy to copy them for you. Dave

So I guess it was offered in the Dart, Valiant and Barracuda in mid 1964.

My Dart was built 8-63 is a So Cal car I am the 2nd owner my grand parents bought the ride and I have all the paper work on it. It is a factroy 273 V-8 with a auto trans car. In mid 64 they had the 4b 235HP option with 10.5 pistons and a bigger cam with factory dual exh. in the dealer for sale. Most areas did not have this option till 65 and then there were D-darts in late 65-66 with a 275HP 273.

My owners manual shows the following, I do belive you about your owners manual thiough. In Cal there were a lot of special cars made for the west coast. For had a Cal special GT 271 HP 289 that was only a cal car in mid 65. I think most areas saw these in 66 and later.

My book in the glove box list these options
170 1B -6
225 1B - 6
273 2B -V8 They were rated at 180HP

My uncle hasa 63 and his shows these options
170 1B -6
225 1B -6
225 4b -6

Dont know how many factory /6s they made with the HP engine, but I have a lot of old Motors and Mopar books that listed the diff in compression, cam, intake and the carb used.

goodbread said:
I have a 64 Dart with the 273 - it was purchased in January of 1964 and
was one of the early 273s. The factory owners manual for the Dart only mentions the 170 and 225 slant six motors. I have the original insert that
Dodge prepared with the specs. on the 273 when it was introduced mid year.

I've collected some really good articles on the early 273 - be happy to copy them for you. Dave

Yes, I'm very interested. Please copy them for me, and I'll pay for the copies and postage.
-Mike Krasilnikoff
535 Ashbury Street, Apt. 1
San Francisco, CA 94117
(415) 533-1636

Mike: I will get those copied and mailed to you. I will send a copy of the owners manual insert. It says " supplement for Page 36, 1964 Dart Owner Manual, #81-170-4286. "

I had the car shipped to me and was surprised to find all of the original paperwork. Before finding that, I had ordered a 64 Dart owners manual reprint on ebay. That reprint only shows the two /6 motors, as well. Dave

I read (AllPar) that the EARLY plans for the 273 was for it to be an aluminum block....... Here is part of the story...

"There is some evidence, now lost in antiquity, that the 273 was not only originally meant to be an aluminum-block engine but that it was also meant to power a stillborn A-body DeSoto. Motor Trend and other enthusiast magazines have long had columns where rumors of future products are discussed and sometimes speculated on. Several of these mentioned the development of both compact Dodges and DeSotos (bear in mind that while Valiants were sold by Plymouth dealers in the US, they did not take on the Plymouth name until the 1961 model year) and a V8 engine sharing many internal parts with the 318, but displacing about 270 cubic inches and making use of an aluminum block."

I wonder (If they had done this) how much an original 273 aluminum block would sell for on ebay???? WOW!!!!

goodbread said:
Mike: I will get those copied and mailed to you. I will send a copy of the owners manual insert. It says " supplement for Page 36, 1964 Dart Owner Manual, #81-170-4286. "

I had the car shipped to me and was surprised to find all of the original paperwork. Before finding that, I had ordered a 64 Dart owners manual reprint on ebay. That reprint only shows the two /6 motors, as well. Dave

What do I owe you? Thank you so much!!!!

I got them today. The girlfriend keeps trying to tell me about her day, but I keep skipping between the pages and reading bits and pieces of every article.

Thanks again!!!

-
Back