1964 Barracuda transquestion

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well another good weekend at the Redneck Garage, working on the 64 Barracuda, I was able to remove the old power steering gearbox and install the new one. I took the boat anchor starter out and have a mini-torque to go in. I managed to take out the shifter cable on the first shot! HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP. So the manual call for a 55" cable, that is what I ordered through Schumachers via Imperial services. I pulled out of the car a 42" which is what the slant 6 cars require. Now the parts manual does say the 55" is a first year addition, I just wonder if Chrysler made a mistake and went back to a 42", with the 55" I can almost wrap it around the front bumper and back (ok a little joke there), but is way to long, I have looked at all types of routing. I am wondering if I am missing something or the book is just wrong. That and the hole where the bolt holds down the pinwheel is stripped but I think I can use an oversize 1/4 bolt. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks.

Update,
So I pulled out he shifter cable, it's 42" even though this is a v8 car. It was not the original it broke about 25 years ago. Ordered a 42", it was easy enough to install routing is tough, but all done now.

-
Back