1964 Dart 270... Taxi?

-

Matchpik

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any actual examples of a Taxi coded '64 Dart, but I recently acquired a '64 which is VIN'd as a '64 270 V8 car (L code), but it appears to have been a taxi. I can't find any info about the literal, physical differences between factory parts of the taxi vs. regular model. Wiki says they had heavy duty brakes, suspension, interior differences to make it more durable, large rubber floor mats, etc.

My car has a CB, some random lights and buttons, a strange littler counter, which looks like one of those hour-meters you find on military equipment, and it does have the large, black rubber floor mats, which look like a factory item, not an aftermarket piece. Someone has installed an aftermarket radio, which is obviously, early 80's vintage Realistic.

Once I get it back to my shop, I'll start poking around at the physical details, and see if it could, truly be a Taxi model of some revision. The thing is that the VIN codes out as the "High" trim level, not the Taxi level. But perhaps, someone could order the Taxi model with a higher trim level?

Any info is appreciated!

Matthew

The 1964 Dart Taxi Body Codes which were found on the bottom row of the fender tag under BDY were as follows:
438 6-cylinder 4-door Sedan
683 8-cylinder 4-door Sedan

-
Back