1964 Dart GT - Bought it because my wife likes it.

-
get the steel part of the motor mounts also if you havent already,,hard to find orignal type but available thru schumaker

i believe there is some difference between the 6 cyl and the v 8 gas pedal but im not sure,,,,

thought you picked up the motor??

Haven't had time to go back to the yard yet... and they want kind of a lot for it. We'll see. I'm sure that I can find another somewhere that is a runner.

keep in mind 64/65 273,s use a different head/intake bolt pattern,,then the 66 and up 273 318 340 360,,, ide make him an offer show him how gunked up it is,, offer what you would be willing to pay,,,he can only say no at the worst,,then he can crush it and get 40 bucks for it,,lol

This car was put together by retarded monkeys on hallucinogenic drugs.

The parking puller literally fell off when I went to see the car the first time. Apparently between then and when I bought the car, the previous owners (P.O.) decided that instead of using the ALLEN SCREW to tighten it up, they would just JB weld it on the lever instead. :violent2:

So I need a new park-puller lever, and a new trim panel because in the process of trying to remove it, not knowing WTF they did, I cracked the trim piece. I actually need a 4-speed piece anyway, but still... the IDIOTIC things people do to cars!!!

I'm pulling the dash out because I need to replace the windshield anyway, and the dash needs the top surface painted because there was a custom vinyl top laid on and glued over it. The P.O.'s are making me PO'd! They removed the defrost vents and threw them out. :banghead: Luckily I got these from that '66 Barracuda in the junk yard. Right now I'm almost considering using the Barracuda dash and building it with custom guages. However, that would take longer so I'll sand and paint the Dart's dash this weekend and get the Barracuda window and new window seal in.

Ugh.... other people's cars. :angry3:

I notice on the trash can the riverside bell, are you located in riverside also or was the seller located in riverside?

I bought the car in Riverside.

Today I finished removing the dash and started the stripping/dying/repainting process. The dash top was held in place by a lot of glue- probably 3M spray adhesive by the look and feel of it. I have to remove all of it before I can paint the metal part of the dash. :banghead:

On the up-side, I cleaned and dyed the dash pad from the '66 Barracuda and it is looking pretty decent.

5382234723_934886bfaf_b.jpg

You can see how they were lazy and masked off everything on the dash instead of doing it the right way. Oh, people!

5382236115_745ef48437_b.jpg

The dyed dash is going to look so much better when the metal part is repainted properly!

5382237249_34072b237c_b.jpg

Great looking GT !

I sold one like it years ago (late 80's) when I got the one we ordered for my mom back in '65.

If you want to pep things up install a 2 1/4" exhaust system from the manifold to the tail pipe tip, be sure to use a muffler that gives it some back pressure. If you don't it won't have any power off the line. With the right muffler in the system it will move the power band up and really make it fly.

By the way if your at the pick and pull I'm looking for '66 Cuda dash parts for the a/c control panel,golve box door trim and right side trim.

What part of the central coast are you on ?

Great looking GT !

By the way if your at the pick and pull I'm looking for '66 Cuda dash parts for the a/c control panel,golve box door trim and right side trim.

What part of the central coast are you on ?

Thanks! The a/c panel and almost all of the dash trim was long gone before I got there. What right side trim are you looking for?

I'm in the part of the Central Coast between LA and Santa Barbara. :smile:

Today I spent a few minutes cleaning up the heater box, after installing the new core last weekend. There was a lot of overspray from the dash being painted and a few minutes with some 000 Steel Wool cleaned the box right up!

Before:
5389566450_27b2576745_z.jpg

After!
5388961295_0788c0c344_z.jpg

I can't stand overspray or poor masking jobs. :pukerigh: The door is broken at the rivets as well so that will need repaired before it goes back in the car. I have a sweet idea for putting the dash back in so that we won't have to cut or remove the windshield gasket if the dash is ever removed in the future... hope to show you all my idea this weekend. :thumleft:

Nice collection you have there . Even the Poncho isn't bad . Least its not a chevy !

Ok so I didn't repaint the dash totally because the paint that matches the rest of the trim is a tri-stage, kind of expensive, and the wife wouldn't let me repaint all of the interior panels (she doesn't understand their NEED to MATCH!). (or my obsessive compulsiveness towards it! ;-) ) I'm going to work on that one in the future. So for now, I painted the top red and when the trim goes back on, hopefully it won't look stupid. SOMEDAY I will repaint all of the trim and the dash to match!

What I did do, in hopes that the dash can be removed in the future without removing the windshield, is drill some holes, install some clips and put the original bolts in through from the bottom. Observe:

5414335149_6f1e036f21_z.jpg

5414948318_c36369210b_z.jpg

5414336967_dc58a5ee11_z.jpg

5414337667_083080ff5b_z.jpg

The windshield gasket should go around the threaded part of the fastener because there is a large open gap there with the rubber installed. This still wasn't easy to tighten all of the screws and of course with the rubber installed I would be doing this blind, but my hopes are high that this will work.

I don't think I could do this on my C-body...

nice idea on the dash screws..

as for your wife not wanting the dash to match,, i hope you remember that when she wants all her clothes to match.,lol

Put the '66 Barracuda windshield and new gasket in today and it all fits no problem with the screws sticking up. Will the dash come out with the window installed? Will it be easy to re-install? Will they loosen up over time and cause me tons of headaches? The answers to these questions will have to wait! :happy8: For now, it's nice to have an unbroken window in the car. :thumrigh:

Ok... so I found more ghetto-rigged nonsense in the driver's door.

Seriously, WTF is this?

5420847424_d3fa28b8e2_z.jpg

It's a broken and incorrect door handle, is what it is. The odd part on the back is another door button pressed onto the stem that makes contact with the striker to open the door. NONSENSE! This is just plain silly.

I also upgraded the door locks to units from a '68 C-body since I did not have keys for the doors and the originals are near impossible to re-key. I used a 7/8" Greenlee punch and then a Dremel tool to cut the 4 notches that the newer locks use to keep them in place. They are working out well.

5420846126_0976a0ba0d_z.jpg

I set the lock in place and marked with a pencil where the notches should be, then filled in the area with a black Sharpie so I would know where and how much to cut out.

5420239071_f48f7e8e1d_z.jpg

A friend of mine helping me install the windshield from a '66 Barracuda I found in the pick-a-part.

5420847998_94b0a91a60_z.jpg

Got some old 4-speed pedals all bead blasted and painted with brand new pedal pads, too. I was stoked to find that I could still buy original looking pedal pads. :rock::rock::rock:

I love bead blasted parts.

5420237941_1db2c9fd47_z.jpg

5420848524_a7f44c2717_z.jpg

All assembled, lubed and like new! :rock: I painted the support bracket a "stainless steel" color because I figured it would be easier to see wiring and stuff around it when it's under the dash. Looks pretty damn good to me, too.

great idea on the door lock cylinders,,, didnt knwo u cant get the orignals re keyed,,,,so u must of had keys to the C body locks????

as for the door handle,,most dont know it but,, the 1963 64 65 66 A body use different out side handles from 67 and up,,,but,, dodge pick ups,,used the early A body out side handle with a different plunger,,,truck handle up to 1969 or 70,, i wouldnt be surprised if those handles are the same on the A 100 series trucks and vans,, just change the plunger to fix that handle,,COLOR]

great idea on the door lock cylinders,,, didnt knwo u cant get the orignals re keyed,,,,so u must of had keys to the C body locks????

as for the door handle,,most dont know it but,, the 1963 64 65 66 A body use different out side handles from 67 and up,,,but,, dodge pick ups,,used the early A body out side handle with a different plunger,,,truck handle up to 1969 or 70,, i wouldnt be surprised if those handles are the same on the A 100 series trucks and vans,, just change the plunger to fix that handle,,

I had the C-body locks re-keyed to match the '64 Dart's ignition key. I almost had all of the keys matched to my '68 Chrysler 300 so that I'd only need to carry one set of keys, but decided just to keep them different.

That's really good knowledge on the door handle differences. I took another door handle apart and heated and bent the plunger rod so it looks like it closely matches the passenger side but haven't installed it in the car yet to see if it works. The first rod that I tried to bend just snapped so I worked the other one real slowly over about 30 mins with a propane torch and my bench vise. I suspect it will need more work but I'm totally afraid of breaking it!

i have a few old handles im sure have the correct plunger,,,,illl check if ur intrested,,,,,

Before the rain started today I managed to swap out my passenger's side window regulator (the old one would not budge at all which made removing it nearly impossible) and the BIG news is that I installed my 4-speed pedals! :toothy8::toothy8::toothy8:

My car is now the rare 3-pedal automatic Dart. :tongue3:

5456800308_6a1a1914e8_z.jpg

Thanks to damraider and dart64gt for pedal parts and a transmission hump!

A HUGE thanks goes out to The_night_rider for meeting me half way so that I could buy his complete 833-OD swap that will go in the car someday hopefully soon!

You guys rock! :thumblef:

Before the rain started today I managed to swap out my passenger's side window regulator (the old one would not budge at all which made removing it nearly impossible) and the BIG news is that I installed my 4-speed pedals! :toothy8::toothy8::toothy8:

My car is now the rare 3-pedal automatic Dart. :tongue3:

5456800308_6a1a1914e8_z.jpg

Thanks to damraider and dart64gt for pedal parts and a transmission hump!

A HUGE thanks goes out to The_night_rider for meeting me half way so that I could buy his complete 833-OD swap that will go in the car someday hopefully soon!

You guys rock! :thumblef:

hey, I hear those 3 pedal automatics go for big bucks on Barrett Jackson!

hey, I hear those 3 pedal automatics go for big bucks on Barrett Jackson!

Back in the day there were 3 pedal automatics, They were called ClutchFlites.

A manual clutch replaced the torque converter along with a special tang to drive the front pump of the 727.

This was the predecessor to modifying torque converters stall speed and size.

As for rare I've got a 3 pedal automatic in my van also.

Started life as a 360/727 changed to 833 4sp then to 318/A500.:toothy10:

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 248
-
Back