1964 Dart Tail Light Lenses

-

Nigel Hely

64DartDownUnder
Reaction score
Finally, my 1964 Dart Tail Light Lenses arrived today from Layson's Restorations.
Apparently they make reproduction stuff in small batches, which meant I was placed on an "eligibility list" for a while (two years!), in fact I had given up until they contacted me a couple of weeks ago to see if I was still interested!
Meanwhile, I had been watching eBay like a hawk, nothing much ever turns up, bought one second hand one for $300 and it wasn't great, by any stretch of the imagination.
After I placed the order and paid I trawled a few forums and must say I read some (very old threads) which were HORROR STORIES, and scared me a bit, however they arrived safely today, their communication was fine, the quality is quite OK although there are some variations from original which are invisible once fitted.
Only thing is the outer chrome rings do not sit tight against the lens, which is a bit of a disappointment, see photos, no doubt a quality control issue.
My question to you is: Is there an easy way I can improve this without wrecking them? I'm in Australia and I can't be bothered returning them for such a minor detail...
Regards, Nigel
IMAG1876.jpg
IMAG1874.jpg

Finally, my 1964 Dart Tail Light Lenses arrived today from Layson's Restorations.
Apparently they make reproduction stuff in small batches

Nope. They don't make these, they buy these from a maker/vendor. They wait til they have enough orders to get a favourable price from the maker/vendor, then they place the order, then the maker/vendor takes the time it takes to make lenses like this. Hence the long wait. That "eligibility list" stuff is just another of Layson's entertaining little fibs.

I'm in Australia

Oof. Nice '64 Dart lenses are made in Australia, so you could've shopped locally. Here is one maker/vendor known for high quality, and they do make '64 Dart lenses. Though they tend to be slow, they don't make up stories about "eligibility lists". Perhaps if you contact that maker/vendor I just linked they'll have some good advice for you about the ring fitment.

Last edited:
Nope. They don't make these, they buy these from a maker/vendor. They wait til they have enough orders to get a favourable price from the maker/vendor, then they place the order, then the maker/vendor takes the time it takes to make lenses like this. Hence the long wait. That "eligibility list" stuff is just another of Layson's entertaining little fibs.

Oof. Nice '64 Dart lenses are made in Australia, so you could've shopped locally. Here is one maker/vendor known for high quality, and they do make '64 Dart lenses. Though they tend to be slow, they don't make up stories about "eligibility lists". Perhaps if you contact that maker/vendor I just linked they'll have some good advice for you about the ring fitment.
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply.

Followed the link, SPEWING! Those guys are a half hour drive from me! However, I did try hard, I posted numerous 'wanted' adverts, I searched eBay and Layson's were the only guys who were able to help, until now!
I wonder if DAMAX are making them for Layson's? Have you physically seen their lenses?
I can't imagine why someone in Australia would tool up for a local (Australian) market with a lens when there are only about half a dozen of these cars 'down-under'? Maybe DAMAX owns one? I'm now keen to give them a call and if they have some on the shelf, have a look. At the end of the day, the Layson's ones will look heaps better than what I had.
I did email Rick yesterday regarding the gap in the ring, he did reply promptly, but the response was along the lines of
"spoke to Dave, nothing can be done to improve this".
I call BS, if they drilled the holes in the plastic one size larger, the tapered pins on the chrome bit will sit closer, problem solved, I'm going to pull them apart and do exactly that.
By the way, I'm not trying to bag the company, as I said the product is OK (better than my faded, cracked, milky ones!), their communication was OK, the goods actually arrived, the price wasn't too bad, I didn't get ripped off.
I just feel there's just a bit of room for improvement...

Followed the link, SPEWING! Those guys are a half hour drive from me!

Hop in the car and go for a visit!

I wonder if DAMAX are making them for Layson's?

That's a question best asked of them.

Have you physically seen their lenses?

Not their '64 Dart lenses, but I've bought other lenses from them and been very happy with them.

I can't imagine why someone in Australia would tool up for a local (Australian) market with a lens when there are only about half a dozen of these cars 'down-under'?

DAMAX sell all over the world.

I did email Rick yesterday regarding the gap in the ring, he did reply promptly, but the response was along the lines of
"spoke to Dave, nothing can be done to improve this".

Just try to imagine all of my shock and surprise.

I call BS

I do the same from time to time, as a public service. Rick occasionally throws tantrums on here about me.

By the way, I'm not trying to bag the company

No worries, I will! :)

Hop in the car and go for a visit!

That's a question best asked of them.

Not their '64 Dart lenses, but I've bought other lenses from them and been very happy with them.

DAMAX sell all over the world.

Just try to imagine all of my shock and surprise.

I do the same from time to time, as a public service. Rick occasionally throws tantrums on here about me.

No worries, I will! :)

Hi Dan,
Thanks again for your opinions.
I've sent DAMAX an email, keen to see what they have to offer, and no problem to go for a quick drive to have a look if they have them on the shelf, I would buy an extra set just to have them.
I'm getting a feel for your comments, seems like Layson's products might leave a bit to be desired, but I'm trying to keep my remarks polite and neutral, because my interactions with them were actually OK, I just think the product could be improved if they passed my feedback on to the makers, and it seems that feedback fell on deaf ears, the tone of the email was like it vwas all too difficult.
At the end of the day, they fitted up great, they look great, they are heaps better than what I had, it's just that gap that needs work...
I've since found out via local Facebook Valiant sites that the DAMAX lenses are well regarded.
Photos, before (milky, crazed... After, a definite improvement). Sometimes you've just gotta be happy...
IMAG1877.jpg
IMAG1880.jpg

-
Back