1964 Dodge Dart - A Crusty, Rusty Daily

-

jfleming64dart

Reaction score
Hello all, I've had my Dart now since last summer, and I've been putting off a restoration thread since I haven't done much. And in truth I probably won't be doing much immediately, which I'm sure some people will object to but I rescued her from a dark fate so that enough for me to feel good about it for now. Which brings us to the how-I-got-the-car story. It was on Craigslist, and I was looking for a dust it off and drive classic to take to college in a month. It was listed for $700 and was 2 or so hours away. I knew what was doable and I asked, any major frame rust? He said no. So we arrive with a u-haul car flatbed and find the ca is swiss cheese at the spring boxes and that the owner undoubtedly knew this, informing us of safe-t-caps. It barely ran, stalling getting onto lifts and the ramp. It was not going to be coming to college with me, but after deliberating with my girlfriend's Dad, my vehicle mentor if you will, in this guys driveway for 2 hours, he came down to $500. Maybe just to make us leave. The car was bad but not un-savable with his fully equipped garage. The engine needed new spark plugs and it came right to life! Started faithfully and with ease, even when it was -20 this winter! Needed a couple wheel cylinders, a drum turned, all new brake lines, and some exhaust work. Most recently I finally took on the "big job." I cut out and replaced the spring boxes with a safe-t-cap kit, and the car is structurally sound now. Of course now that that job is done, the motor won't start. 1 Step forward 2 back... That's where I'm at now. Plans for the car include getting the motor running, attacking 3 point seat belts to those AMC Pacer seats it came with (I know) and driving the wheels off it! I'll probably pretty up that wheel-well, you'll know the one when you see it. Pictures are from craigslist, as I got it, and from before winter, as it sits now, aesthetically. I hadn't done the rails in that pic.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 109
  • photo 5 (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 4 (1).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 1 (7).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 2 (6).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 92
  • photo 3 (2).jpg