1964 Savoy project

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Please forgive this early B body and this is really not a real resto thread. I have never tried such and would never be able to find the camera at the right time anyway. I have always loved the early B cars, 62-5, and I also got hooked on early As way back because they looked so much like the early Bs and were easier to find and cheaper. But those are another story. My idea of a really FUN car was to find a cheap Savoy and make it FUN!!!!

My first 64 Savoy was this cars twin, slant, 3 on tree, base as could be, turkey turd tan, 1995. Actually I got two for $1000. 1995. I pulled the slant, changed to K to a V8 flavor, installed a good running 440 with a 4 speed and a 66 B 8 3/4. I had it about all done. Then one day I went totally stupid. I asked myself why was I building such when everywhere I looked was a good "real" muscle car project or better, cheap. So down the road it went.

Fast forward almost 30 years, so many good Mopars have come and gone here, 74 and wore out and thinking I need to stop this hard resto stuff. Hard to get up once I get down. But, I digress.

About 1 1/2 years ago a good friend told me of this Savoy. Been sitting outside here in Tx. since about '80. The critters had long ago destroyed the seats, all that piss ate up the floors. This was to be a keeper. I did the usual deal, of cutting out the rust, welding in 18 ga. panels. I would have bought an AMD floor but they were sold out. (Another story) so I fabbed one with all the humps, bends, etc, with hand tools, NO brake. Turned put nice but sure took a while.

You all know the body routine.... sand prime, filler prime, block, seal, topcoat, I even did clear although I hate clear. Inside, outside, top, bottom, trunk engine compartment. No I don't have a rotesserie. Replaced the windshield and gasket, ACC carpet. MY plan.. make it sorta of SS sorta thing NO backseat (I don't need one) A100 seats. Find a decent running big block of any flavor, and I have the A833. A100 seats and trip to the high $ upholstry shop? No! Heck no! But wait rather than having $2000 in that, I could get Jeep CJ5 repop seats all done for like $330 for a pair! Call the 4 wheel drive catalogue. Only visable difference is the Bostrum (A100) seat has a small space between the bottom and top.

Today, it needs the K changed out to the v8 one, replace the tapered axle rear, drive 7 hours to pick up what was a good running 67 383 when he pulled it 10 years ago and stuck it under his work bench. Do the brakes and brake /fuel lines, order gas tank.

I would have sold it and I advertised it as it will be a struggle to finish with the hard heavy parts but the wife is a young un at 67 and plenty strong for a 130 pounder. Glad no one wanted a driver quality paint job, no one wanted to drive after it or pay a shipper.
I decided it will be that keeper that I should have kept back in '95!!!!!
You all know the
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
routine!!!!

IMG_0095 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0071 - Copy.JPG

Love that car! Great Story, BTW, Glad to see you've decided to bring it back to life!

Love that 64. I am one of those "if it were closer guys".... Needs the super stock hood scoop.....

There is a more door 64 been sitting in a front yard near me for sale.for 4 years. From the road it looks like the major bodywork is done. All trim is not visible (inside maybe) , all the glass is there, has dual exhaust pipes straight out the back from what I can see. Probably a 318. I keep telling my wife that car is coming home cheap and soon. Lol

Love that 64. I am one of those "if it were closer guys".... Needs the super stock hood scoop.....

There is a more door 64 been sitting in a front yard near me for sale.for 4 years. From the road it looks like the major bodywork is done. All trim is not visible (inside maybe) , all the glass is there, has dual exhaust pipes straight out the back from what I can see. Probably a 318. I keep telling my wife that car is coming home cheap and soon. Lol

I have fabbed out of 20 ga. mild steel sheet a couple 0f max wedge and 1 low profile hemi scoops. All with a redneck metal brake. I plan to add the MW scoop to this Savoy.
You mentioned a more door. A couple years ago I had a 77 Volare wagon that was complete rust free but a non runner. I actually bought it for the perfect grill to use on a 76 RR. I gave $500 for this wagon, and changed out the grill with a sorta broke one, and then could not sell it! (Tx. isnit a big mopar state). People wanted it but as usual were all in Oh., Pa. and Vt. Then I found a guy in Ms. that wanted it and he traded me a really good 64 Bel. more door, poly 318, ran great, needed brakes, and 99% rust free with a new AMD floor! I could not bring myself to part it and who in Tx. would want the stuff anyway. So I did the breaks, did the paint added a pair of those Smitty built buckets, replaced the broke windshield and back glass ( uggggg). I have a great driver. I figure the parts are worth $3500-$4000. I started with a car I figured I have $500 in, did all the work and have $4000 in it! I guess it has a forever home as I can't sell it. I would like to get down to just a couple of cars I have 5.

IMG_0034 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back