1964 Valiant door latch repair

-

Canadian64

Reaction score
The drivers door on my 1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet stays closed only after I turn the rotor on the latch several clicks. Is this is repairable with lubrication or do I have to replace the latch with my spare? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sagging hinges and worn out mechanisms are possibly to blame. Adjustment of the door also. If you lift the door and it moves up and works better then the hinges are worn. If all that is good then start searching for a new latch mechanism. They are out there. I bought a new one off eBay for like $125 about a Year ago for the 66’.

Door fit is important but more likely your latch is gummed up with dirt. You should be able to shoot in some spray lube with the glass down. If not, remove the door panel for a clear shot.

Sagging hinges and worn out mechanisms are possibly to blame. Adjustment of the door also. If you lift the door and it moves up and works better then the hinges are worn. If all that is good then start searching for a new latch mechanism. They are out there. I bought a new one off eBay for like $125 about a Year ago for the 66’.
Thank you for your helpful response. I have another latch mechanism. I don't want to replace the mechanism until I know more. I have learned to move cautiously so that I don't cause unnecessary problems.

Door fit is important but more likely your latch is gummed up with dirt. You should be able to shoot in some spray lube with the glass down. If not, remove the door panel for a clear shot.
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

-
Back