1965 904 fluid recommendation?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I have not purchased ATF in decades and now am thoroughly confused with all of the different products on the market. What current ATF product would be the equivalent for these old mopar transmissions? Thank you.

B&M Trick Shift is a really good universal fluid. Been using it in Torqueflites for several decades.

John Deere hi-guard trans fluid is what I use. Was surprised when my uncle and grandpa recommended using it in my 904, handles heat well and lubricates well I was told.

My one uncle has an old suburban that he runs the hi-guard in, it has coming on 250k miles, trans shifts perfectly still...

Can't say about 65. By 1966, Mopar recommended Mercon/Dexron III in their transmissions. It's cheap as ATFs go, and universally available. Take care to avoid Dexron VI which is formulated for GM transmissions and is too thin.

Of other ATFs out there, I plan to avoid Type F (for Ford C6). I've looked at ATF+3 and ATF+4 as it is marketed towards Mopar auto trannys. It's formulated for the new OD units. I have yet to see anything about anyone successfully using ATF+3 or ATF+4 in a 727 or 904. The instances I have read concern using the fluids in recently rebuilt units so the possibility of interaction between additive packages approaches zero.

Can't say about 65. By 1966, Mopar recommended Mercon/Dexron III in their transmissions. It's cheap as ATFs go, and universally available. Take care to avoid Dexron VI which is formulated for GM transmissions and is too thin.

Of other ATFs out there, I plan to avoid Type F (for Ford C6). I've looked at ATF+3 and ATF+4 as it is marketed towards Mopar auto trannys. It's formulated for the new OD units. I have yet to see anything about anyone successfully using ATF+3 or ATF+4 in a 727 or 904. The instances I have read concern using the fluids in recently rebuilt units so the possibility of interaction between additive packages approaches zero.

Type F is thicker and shifts harder , and is what I have ran in my cars for 30+ years.:burnout:

-
Back