1965 904 torque converter

-

6t5barracuda

Reaction score
looking to get a higher stall torque converter for my barracuda.. 273 milled heads 30 over comp 270s solid cam split duration torker intake. It has 1965 forged crank with rebuilt original torque converter and 904, has stage 2 shift kit... car does not get off the line at all, ive been looking for a long time at torque converters but theyre all for 67 and up. If anyone has a higher stall 1965 904 converter let me know, or where i can get one:burnout:

You'll need a custom converter built for you, and any competent converter builder can do this for you. I doubt if you will find one on the shelf.
Is the transmission the original 904 or is it a later one, as the input splines are different.
Early is 18 spline, 68 and up are 27 spline.

A high stall converter should be matched to YOUR engine specs., rear axle ratio and rear tire size. Your cam makers spec sheet should give you some idea to what stall it needs. If you want, send me a PM and I'll email you the converter spec sheet that was used at the converter builder I worked for in the past. Just make sure in your message, you include your home email. A properly applied converter is a great performance improver, a poorly applied converter is just the opposite.
Avoid even thinking about used converters. You never know their internal condition, and if they need repairs, can cost you more money than buying a new one.

Several converter companies will build what you need for the same price as any converter they build. I've had good luck with PTC so you might try them. I just bought a 9.5" for the 904 I'm installing in my car. I called them and gave them all my specs and it was at my door in less than a week

As Transman pointed out having one built to the specs of your car is the way to go. Since most decent converter companies don't charge any more for a custom converter so it's a no brainer.

-
Back