1965 Dodge Dart Convertible Restoration

-

dart270conv

Reaction score
I have wokring on restoring a 1965 Dart Converible with an Automatic Tranmision, stock 273 2 barrel carb, drum brakes all the way around. And Man it has not been an easy road but we are getting there.
1) Did a MP disc brake conversation. This ws too bad, in retrospect easier project on teh vehicle. Make sure you contect teh brake pedal to the master with the proper lever arm. There are 2 in the kit and the one that came with it already attached was too short.
2) Hooker headers, look awesome, tricky to install, think outside ot box to install them, and it is a little weird cutting in the fender. The hole you cut out can be a little bit smalled than teh instructions tell you.
4) Offenhousen intake manifold, easy to install.
5) Ellenborck 4bbl carb, looks great.

With all of the above finnally started up, and man it sounded good at first. I took it to the alignment shop, all done, took it a awesome muffler guy, done.

Started driving and notice, NO POWER.

After a aloy of head scratching and hooking up a diaganoses computer to it, found out my 273 motor had siome issues, #3 and #5 anf #8 all bad, no fire loss compression, valve sticking, etc. ...

So I decided to update the motor to. I got a great deal on a 368 with 318 heads. Why 318 heads you ask, because the 273 to 318 parts are interchangeable, but not with a 360.

Anyway got the motor for an Old school Mopar guy who has own autoparts and engine shop for 31 years. He buil;t the motor for himself and decided not to use it.

We are prepping the engine for paint this weekend, letting the paint set for 1 week, and then the big engine swap.

Wish me luck a little nervous.

-
Back