1965 dodge dart disc brake set up

-

TheGrimSpeed

Reaction score
hi there, i have a 1965 dart that i want to convert to a disc brakes i am using factory small bolt pattern discs from a 66 dart my car currently has 9inch drums in front

1.will i feel a great difference when the swap it complete?

2.better stopping power?

3.i have the correct lower ball joints for the disc brake set up can i use the same upper ball joints i have on now?

4. I have the single piston original master cylinder would that be fine to use?

5. Do i really need the proportioning valve for this set up on my dart? and if so were could i purchase one thank you again in advance!

1. In my experience with a '66 Valiant is YES! I thought the car was marginal with 9" brakes and was good with the K-H disc brakes. I like the pedal feel of the K-H discs.

2. I put manual discs on front, no power assist, and the stopping ability was much better ( I think magazine tests showed a 25 to 40 % decrease in stopping distance), but it requires a bit more effort than a current production car.

3. I'll let someone else confirm this is true.

4. Yes the disc brakes require a master cylinder with more fluid capacity. I would replace it with a dual master cylinder.

5. Again I would. Not sure where to get one.

Let us know how it all works out and what your impressions are.

Buy yourself a Disc Brake master cylinder, from the 73-76 A body line of cars.
I have a proportioning valve for sale, in the "for sale" section of this forum, if your interested.
Jim V.
hemi71x

you just need the correct master cylinder thats for a disc/drum car you can use your stock valve just buy a universal proportioning Valve with the new PV valve run a new line from the new master cylinder to it and connect the old one to it that goes to the rear brakes and plug up your old stock valves rear outlet with a correct fitting.

-
Back