1965 Federal pump issue with a new Borgeson steering box Please Help

-

guido

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just installed a New Borgeson small sector power steering box in my 1965 273 4 speed barracuda. The box went in quite easily. but I have a problem.
The federal power steering pump which worked perfectly with the old... stock 'Gygundic' [huge and heavy] steering box does not work at idle any more.
At Idle while at a full stop it steers like a truck and takes all my strength to turn the steering wheel as if there was no power steering at all. I checked for proper fill then drove it for a while checked it again and I didn't see any air bubbles. Once rolling down the road the power steering seems to work fine. I contacted Borgeson, and they said people use federal pumps with their steering box with no issues. I rev it up while stopped and turn the wheel and there is very little if no improvement. I spoke to Peter at Bergman, who has been extremely helpful and a great guy.
He recommends using a Saginaw power steering pump model from a newer car. I used this actual swap per his recommendations on a 1964 barracuda and it helped but didn't work at a dead stop until I turned up the idle to 900 rpm. [Peter at Bergman is putting together another power steering pump kit as I type this].

Just looking to see if anyone has run across this and came up with a different fix.
Thanks guys Angelo aka Guido

1965_plymouth_barracuda -1.jpg

Peter is my go to guy for these and suspension stuff too.

I have the exact same set up BUT no issues. Sounds silly but are your lines backwards? I had a hard time figuring out which of the two ports was pressure and what one was return. (Same sized)
My experience was excellent. Drives like a modern car over my Firm feel stage 2 box which was way better than factory. 66 Barracuda, Doug’s headers, 273/4 auto

IMG_7299.jpeg

-
Back