1965 Valiant 200

-
Great picture dump. I'm waiting to see your new dash setup, it looks really good. I'll be putting my dash in my 65 Barracuda soon so watching your progress.

Minor updates today..... cleaned up and painted the cluster bezel with a basic metallic paint I found at the auto parts store today, then reassembled the cluster with the new gauges in place.

Mm1oev4.jpg

X5CB0HW.jpg

I plan to use the original cluster connector only for the turn signal indicator and high beam indicator. All the other circuits will be cut away from the original connector and wired to their respective circuits in the new cluster assembly. I was able to cut off the lower passenger's side of the circuit board since it is no longer used and passed all the wiring through the large opening in the housing. On the driver's side, I passed the wiring through the speedo cable opening since this is a GPS speedo and no cable is needed.

72ST1Zo.jpg

These gauges from Speedhut are extremely shallow and leave PLENTY of space in the original housing so all the extra wiring will just be tucked in there when done. I also test fit the passenger side exhaust manifold with the flange attached and there is TONS of clearance right now. We'll see if it remains that way after I make the adjustments needed to fit the driver's side manifold in. I'll save the exhaust pictures and give the manifolds a dedicated post after I am done installing them. For the rest of this week, I'll be working on finishing up the engine bay wiring.

Wow! The gauge cluster turned out beautiful. I'm guessing the gauges are all electric, so do the proper sending units come with them? Do you have any pics of how you attached the new gauges to the old cluster?

Wow! The gauge cluster turned out beautiful. I'm guessing the gauges are all electric, so do the proper sending units come with them? Do you have any pics of how you attached the new gauges to the old cluster?
Yes, they come with a oil pressure sender and temp sender. The fuel gauge can be programmed to your existing sender and the volt gauge just needs power. The tach goes to negative of coil and the speedo uses its own GPS signal so nothing goes to the trans. I don't have any pics of the wiring to the vehicle but it's all just wire-to-wire at the old cluster connector. The gauges come with in-line connectors so it can be removed.

The only wires still going to the original cluster connector are left turn, right turn, and high beam(and a ground wire).

-
Back