[WANTED] 1966 273 center link

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed, gonna give you some advice here. First, and perhaps foremost, don't let anybody bend you over the desk for a used V8 center link. Firm Feel sells them new. They are $350 bucks, so if somebody wants anywhere near that, screw um.

Secondly and maybe more importantly, depending on the CAR and what mounts you use, you might NOT need the V8 center link. I converted a 65 Valiant to a 360 from a slant 6 years ago and got by without one. The oil pan was CLOSE to the center link, but it never rubbed. Not once. So, you might test fit what you have first, before paying through the nose for something you may can do without.

Ed, gonna give you some advice here. First, and perhaps foremost, don't let anybody bend you over the desk for a used V8 center link. Firm Feel sells them new. They are $350 bucks, so if somebody wants anywhere near that, screw um.

Secondly and maybe more importantly, depending on the CAR and what mounts you use, you might NOT need the V8 center link. I converted a 65 Valiant to a 360 from a slant 6 years ago and got by without one. The oil pan was CLOSE to the center link, but it never rubbed. Not once. So, you might test fit what you have first, before paying through the nose for something you may can do without.
thanks for the info , the motor is a 73 318 and its going into a 66 . what motor mounts and brackets did you use ? thanks for all the info , great help

thanks for the info , the motor is a 73 318 and its going into a 66 . what motor mounts and brackets did you use ? thanks for all the info , great help
I used the Schumacher conversion mounts, which "supposedly" put the engine in the "stock" location. It was a 360, so technically there is no "stock" location for a 360 in an early A body, but supposedly it was the same location as a 273. You can also put shims under the mounts to lift the engine up some. I would go no more than about 1/4" on each side. Going that much won't hurt a thing, as long as that will make the pan clear, if it does not. I didn't have to shim anything.

64 Valiant - center link - Steering - Slant Six Forum

Edit: after reading the link all the way through, it looks like slant sixes in 65 and 66 may or may not have been originally equipped with the V8 dropped center link.
I can tell you mine was not. The pan was CLOSE to the center link. If it had gotten a good buildup of grease and dirt on the pan, it probably would have touched. It never did though, so I never worried with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back