1966/'69 A100 Twins Build

-
Finally bit the bullet and did what I have been procrastinating on for months. The huge crease from a forklift or something in the edge is hammer and dollied out and now I can cut the floor patch and get it all buttoned back up over the next few days and 99.9% of the metal work is finally done.

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

Long day. I will do the final trim of the patches tomorrow with with a rested mind. Also need to get the body resting on something so all the pressure on that exposed frame rail due to the rotisserie is relieved and then it is time for a welding and grinding fest.

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5513.jpeg

IMG_5514.jpeg

Racehorses.....someone was writing down tips to place bets later on.

1695190714258.jpeg

It takes forever to even prep a patch piece. All sized, straightened, old user and spot weld holes welded/ground and new plug weld holes drilled. It’s trying to rain and I wanted to weld this in, grind it, media blast it and epoxy it in one fell swoop but I can’t work on it again till Monday so let’s call it a day.

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5520.jpeg

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

The 225 for the truck is getting attention.. it will have oversized valves, a bit of port clean up, block decked, head shaved to get a bit over 9:1 compression. There is nothing wrong with a nice updated 225.

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg

Almost done. Ran out of welding gas and need a few more flapper disks to grind the rest of the welds flat. Start where the lines must be straight, the ribs and get that perfect then make up what you need to on the other sides. Once that top edge is done start in the middle and work out with plug welds making sure the ribs are pressed tight to the patch. Lastly finish off the edges. Can’t believe I can count what’s left on one hand. Should be done with the box metal in few days. Yahoo!

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

It's amazing to look at the pictures, see rust then no metal and then all patched and ready to prime. I know it's no where that simple but you make it look that way. One thing I remember from welding class in high school is the weld is stronger than the material being welded. Great work and thanks for sharing and taking time for pictures.
When you are done or need a break, could you do an article on grinding and flap discs? When to use which one and such.
Thanks again for sharing! Bob

It's amazing to look at the pictures, see rust then no metal and then all patched and ready to prime. I know it's no where that simple but you make it look that way. One thing I remember from welding class in high school is the weld is stronger than the material being welded. Great work and thanks for sharing and taking time for pictures.
When you are done or need a break, could you do an article on grinding and flap discs? When to use which one and such.
Thanks again for sharing! Bob

Sorry to destroy that illusion but I use a flapper disk when I a SICK of listening to the grinding disk! The flapper is so much quieter!

:p

Is it as quick as removing material as a grinding disc?

Actually WAY faster BUT it is hard to not grid more than the weld. Hard to control where you are grinding. Since the box metal is like 16 gauge it can take a bit of grinding and not mattering.

That's a ton of work, but it'll end up looking great!

Yea I thought these A100's would be a slam dunk restoration since there is SO little to restore/recondition because they are so simple... but the bodies are INSANELY labor intense to get nice which negates the simplified mechanical....

Well that patch in the corner of the box took ten times longer than expected, as usual. Getting so close to being done with the metal work.

IMG_5593.jpeg

IMG_5594.jpeg

IMG_5595.jpeg

One more thing done. Only a couple more. Ran out of gas. New tank yesterday. Something is leaking. Also talked to Bryce Gill for a long time this morning. Fuel Injected Turbo 225 is looking promising.

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5596.jpeg

IMG_5597.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

“Who’s your Dolly!” Everything including air can be a dolly. I swear since my conscience introduced me to the donut dolly my life has changed. Shrinking metal almost seems logical. I’ll let Robert McCartney explain what it is. The tail panel is patched, straightened and ready for epoxy on the backside and installation. I only have a few minor welding jobs left !!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5602.jpeg

IMG_5603.jpeg

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5606.jpeg

IMG_5607.jpeg

IMG_5608.jpeg

IMG_5609.jpeg

IMG_5610.jpeg

Only thing left is to blast the welds and one vertical box support, epoxy prime and weld in the two box supports/tail panel and I am basically done welding. I am so happy… it has been WAY too long a journey.

IMG_5630.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpeg

IMG_5632.jpeg

IMG_5633.jpeg

IMG_5634.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

Gail force winds are starting. Time to call it a day…. Everything is epoxied so the tail panel and box supports will get welded in tomorrow and the metal work is DONE…. I got distracted and did not blast the corner of the box good enough. Need to blast the welds after tomorrows weld fest so I’ll tough it up then an shoot the last of the red oxide primer and it’s time to get busy with final bodywork! The most rust free A100 on the planet.

IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

IMG_5642.jpeg

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

Looking good and your moving along quickly. The Az winds got us here too so I’m onto gun work inside the ACed side of the shop!

-
Back