1966 Barracuda Dash Bezel Restomod

-
I've put mine back together stock. I don't have any pics at the moment, but here is my current progress. Almost ready to put the windshield and back glass back in.

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7311.jpg

@cpreal how is your cluster project going? I'm currently eye-balling and measuring the cluster frame and the gauges, and I don't believe the 5" speedo and tach would fit under the plastic cover without trimming the bezel on the gauge itself :( I just might go the easy way, and install all the gauges on top of the plastic cover.
gauge.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, after some more measuring and hard contemplating I ended up with the route to install all gauges on top of the plastic cover. It's not perfect, but I'm happy how it's turning out. And hey, it's not a show car! It's street / strip car so it's better if it's not too nice :lol:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yup, after some more measuring and hard contemplating I ended up with the route to install all gauges on top of the plastic cover. It's not perfect, but I'm happy how it's turning out. And hey, it's not a show car! It's street / strip car so it's better if it's not too nice :lol:
View attachment 1716081179

View attachment 1716081180

View attachment 1716081181
That looks great. Surprised to see the 5” gauges in there, I was thinking I’d have to go with 3”. How are they attached in back?

Like other have said, they are mostly held in by friction. I had to Dremel the gauge openings larger, and I just went really slow, and test fitted the gauges often. That way I could get them to fit really snug. I'm also going to use the retainers that came with the gauges. For the small gauges I can use them as is. For the 5" gauges I shortened the retainer, and notched the top of the plastic panel. That way I can get the retainer to sit flush on the plastic.
ring.jpg

notch.jpg

fit.jpg

Like other have said, they are mostly held in by friction. I had to Dremel the gauge openings larger, and I just went really slow, and test fitted the gauges often. That way I could get them to fit really snug. I'm also going to use the retainers that came with the gauges. For the small gauges I can use them as is. For the 5" gauges I shortened the retainer, and notched the top of the plastic panel. That way I can get the retainer to sit flush on the plastic.
View attachment 1716081410

View attachment 1716081409

View attachment 1716081408
Are you using the metal structure behind the bezel? Or just removing it?

Are you using the metal structure behind the bezel? Or just removing it?
I'm planning on using the metal frame also. That 60-year-old plastic seems very brittle, so I don't trust it alone to hold the gauges. I just need to figure out where and how much I need to cut away from the frame and the car, since Valiant instrument panel is so much narrower..

Here's an update on my project!

Mocking the -66 Barracuda cluster on -65 Valiant dashboard was a sack of sad news. Despite the similarities, the two clusters didn't have much common after all. I had already spent so much time and money on the project, I simply could not back down. Instead, I just had to get creative with power tools:
mockup.jpg

After I had finished cutting and grinding everything, and I was pretty sure everything will fit, I started the final assembly on the new cluster:
complete_cluster.jpg

cluster_wiring.jpg

And finally, got it installed in the car. Given how bad the situation looked at some times, I'm actually really happy how it turned out. Still, I'm also really glad it's a race car and not a show car :D
in_car.jpg

-
Back