1966 Barracuda Door Glass Rear Channel Run Liner

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I need a little help here. The door glass rear channel run liner was shot, all frayed and just not in good shape so I decided it was time to replace it. I took out the channel run on the passenger side to start with, cleaned out all the old liner and scraped off the old glue. I was reading up on where to order the new liner from and it seemed that Fran from Just Mopars was the place to order it from so I did. It showed up in the mail today but I am confused as to how it installs. I know that it is a glue in item that's not the problem, the problem is that my channels are 1 1/8" deep on both sides and 5/8" wide across the back so I would need a piece that is 2 7/8" wide to cover the whole channel run, the piece that I received from Just Mopars is only 1 5/8" wide, not enough to cover the whole channel. I called Fran at Just Mopars and he told me that he has never seen a channel run that big that they are usually only about 3/4" deep. Do I have some weird glass channel runs or did I buy the wrong product. Is there anyone else out there that has their 66 Barracuda apart and can take a measurement for me to see if their channel runs are the same size. Look at the pictures and if anyone else has had this problem please chime in and let me know what the solution was.
Thanks
Bob

001.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

Would help if you knew where I bought it from. Been a couple of years but I believe I purchased from Steele Rubber. Very friendly helpful group of people to work with.

So I take it that your glass channel run was the same size as mine. I should have asked Fran how wide his was before I bought it, apparently he does not know that the barracuda has a bigger channel.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

I am going to try and take the Just Mopars felt and run it right down the middle and then up the sides since the glass only rubs on both sides. I can't send it back because I have cut one strip to proper length. If this does not work then I will order the 2 5/8" felt and start over. For those of you who have a 66 Barracuda and plan on doing this job make sure you order the right size 2 5/8" wide. Fran at Just Mopars does not carry that size.
Bob

I am going to try and take the Just Mopars felt and run it right down the middle and then up the sides since the glass only rubs on both sides. I can't send it back because I have cut one strip to proper length. If this does not work then I will order the 2 5/8" felt and start over. For those of you who have a 66 Barracuda and plan on doing this job make sure you order the right size 2 5/8" wide. Fran at Just Mopars does not carry that size.
Bob
Do all '64 - '66 hardtop A Bodies have the same rear channel?
Reason I'm asking is that I'm in the market and don't want to make the same mistake.

I do not know the answer to that but if I were you I would order the 2 5/8" felt either from steeles rubber parts or there is a place on line called Speedway Motors it's called Soffseal 420 and it is 2 5/8" wide part #92617242 $16.99 plus shipping which is cheaper than Just Mopars. If I can not do what I want to with the smaller one then I am going to order the right with one from Speedway. Hope this helps you out.
Bob

@ 65DartCharger - Yes, all '63-'66 Hardtop doors have this same increased depth piece.
@'66 cuda - Damn if I ain't very lucky. I just disassembled my '66 cuda for paint and was wondering how to find this material as mine are worn out also. Looking at the pics, I think I'd prefer the steele rubber but I was wondering how they compare in thickness. To thick and the plastic guide on the window base won't slide up and down very easy. To thin and the window can flop around and vibrate in the the channel.
@66FormulaS273 - Were you happy with the fit and function, once reassembled, of the steel rubber product you purchased?

Looking at steele, Speedway Motors, and also the one that I bought from Just Mopars they are all the same thickness it just that we need the 2 5/8" wide one and Just Mopars does not have it so go with one or the other carrier.
Bob

@ 65DartCharger - Yes, all '63-'66 Hardtop doors have this same increased depth piece.
@'66 cuda - Damn if I ain't very lucky. I just disassembled my '66 cuda for paint and was wondering how to find this material as mine are worn out also. Looking at the pics, I think I'd prefer the steele rubber but I was wondering how they compare in thickness. To thick and the plastic guide on the window base won't slide up and down very easy. To thin and the window can flop around and vibrate in the the channel.
@66FormulaS273 - Were you happy with the fit and function, once reassembled, of the steel rubber product you purchased?

65DartCharger, if the quality hasn't changed in the last couple of years I was totally pleased with the quality. I'm 45 minutes away so I was able to see what I was purchasing. I wouldn't be surprised though if Speedway and Steele have the same channel.

So I was able to do what I wanted to with the Just Mopars channel felt, I just seamed it down the middle and then up the sides. Wow what a difference in the window slop. Now when I am driving down the road I no longer here the window banging against the channel, it tightened it up real nice and rolls up and down real quiet.
Bob

-
Back