1966 Barracuda grill headlight surround

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the left side grill to get at the fender without harming it as some PO crunched it making my new larger tires rub just on the driver side. I need to massage the fender some but seems like these fasteners are near impossible to get at. Anyone got any ideas/experience on these? Seems like they would have to come out to remove the fender and vice/versa for the grill. Which comes first? By the way, this is not how to do body work, almost 1/2" of bondo in spots. Sheesh.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1378.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 163
Those are a b!tch to get out, mainly the top one cause there is no room to get in there, should be able to reach way up inside the fender from under the car, should be easier without the bumper on. The ones on my 66 Valiant were tough to get, but those are different than the Fish grilles.

You just need to take the front inner splash shield off and you can get to the two nuts that hold the outside grille rim to the fender! A little spritzer of penetrant and an hour or so of patient waiting will go a long way towards easy removal, oh, and a long extension!!

You just need to take the front inner splash shield off and you can get to the two nuts that hold the outside grille rim to the fender! A little spritzer of penetrant and an hour or so of patient waiting will go a long way towards easy removal, oh, and a long extension!!

Are you referring to the flexible piece attached to the inner fender or something else? Seems like there isn't enough room to turn a wrench or ratchet. 1/4" air ratchet necessary?

Is this the part you are talking about Geof? And does it come out without the fender or core support?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 120
I think I got the inner splash shield out. Looks like easy access now to those last 2 nuts that hold in the drivers side grill. Then I should be able to get at the fender body work.

FYI, this is not how to do body/bondo work. Some spots almost 1/2" thick. Terrible. And the reason I need to do this besides bad body work is the fender got pushed back so my new tires rub on the lower part of the fender. Gotta move it forward about 1/2" or a little more.

Thanks for the help.:cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 83
And done. Now on the the 20 lbs of bondo to grind off.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 97
What size tires are you running now on the rally wheels? i have a set i am thinking of running on my 66.
thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I see you got out the splash shield!! That's the piece I was referring to, and now on to the real job....that fender!! Good luck brother!! Geof

Thanks Geof, yep, I got it straigthened out enough so it doesn't rub, but upon further inspection the lower fender was torn and welded back together in a not so complimentary fashion and smeared with bondo almost 3 feet back unnecessarily. So the the repair shortened the height of the fender and forcing it backward into the wheel well. It really should have been replaced and that's likely what i will do. A great FABO member seems to have one for me and is body worked and primed ready to go. Fortunately I think there isn't much more damage.

As for the tires, I'm running p215/70 r14's. They should fit all the way around and do with the exception of the damaged area. If I knew I were going to keep these wheels I'd have gone fatter in back 245/60 r14's. But I will probably upgrade brakes at some point and will likely need new wheels.

-
Back