1966 Barracuda parts into a 1972 Duster

-
I took the whole shebang outs of a 68 cuda and put it into a 66 cuda, if that helps, engine tranny driveshaft, rear and springs

I have a 72 Duster, and there's a guy here trying to get rid of his barracuda real quick, and I would really love to steal the drivetrain. It would save me so much time and money. He put a 340 block into the 66, so I guess he has already done some modification. I've been eye balling a crate 360 forever, but if I could get everything in one purchase, it would be great.

I took a 70 Duster 340 Motor, trans, rearend, and drive shaft and put in to a 66 Barracuda.

Will be no problem going the otherway just make sure the Duster has a V8
K-member. Motor mounts should be from the Duster or 67 later A body for a V8
You will also need a good radiator for the Duster I don't think the 66 Barracuda one will fit.

One last thing exhaust manifolds should fit the Duster but headers and or exhaust system will not fit from the 66 barracuda

This sounds like a good deal to me !

Assuming your 72 is a small block V8 model - 318 or whatever, just use the peripheral items from your 72 on the 340, meaning all this stuff:

Exhaust manifolds or headers (318 manifolds will be pretty restrictive)
engine mounts (from a 340)
trans mount (slant six or V8)
trans linkage
timing cover, waterpump, pulleys, fan, PS and Alt brackets, reuse the 340 vib dampner
radiator/shroud

If your 72 is a /6 then you need to secure all the above from a 1972 v8 equipped car, 318 or 340, - except for the engine mounts, then you'll need the schumacher conversion mounts, readily available. Trans mounts and crossmembers are all the same whether a 6 or 8 application.

The axle and trans are bolt in, The driveshaft might be different length - check it.

The 340 might have the early style water pump and timing cover, if so, convert it to the later style, ie passenger side water pump outlet vs drivers side (as the old style).

Keep in mind the 273 stuff from the 66 IS valuable - sell it or sell the car with the left over parts to someone who wants the thing. Cha-ching! You just made some money to pay for the conversion.

Good luck!

-
Back