1966 Dart Factory AC Fittings

-

reknapp52

Reaction score
I am putting together a 1966 Dart GT that has been disassembled for more than 20 years. It had factory AC, but the under-hood components are no longer there. I want to pressure test the AC evaporator, as well as the heater core. Does anyone know what thread the AC fittings that protrude from the firewall are? The larger one appears to be 3/4 pipe thread, but it seems odd that it would be a pipe thread. The smaller stub is somewhere between a 3/8 pipe and 1/2 pipe size.

My '66 used flare fittings. Long time ago, so I can't tell you exactly what size though.

It's not pipe thread, no. Those are "Tube-O" fittings into and out of the evaporator—the factory setup first available in '65 did not use flare fittings, or at least not many of them, versus the knee-knocker add-on units (including Chrysler's own Cool Comfort and Airtemp-branded units) which used only flare fittings.

Take a look at the bottom line of this chart and you should find the info you need.

If they are steel tube I would silver braze JIC flare (same as AN except steel and sold anywhere tractor/ industrial hydraulics are sold) on to them.

-
Back