1966 Dart GT rear window and windshield trim removal

-

mike240

Reaction score
I ran searches in this section and found nothing. Trying remove rear window trim. Which double trimmed. It has never been removed and there seems to be and adhesive that holds it on. Removed the bottom section which is a slip joint. Removed to quarter panel ridge which slips into the outer corner.

the shop manual shows clips but they are not there thus far. No rivet pins for clips to attach to in the sheet metal.

The rear window is assumed original and is Chrysler glass. No so with the windshield. I am guessing reinstalling the double trim on the front was too hard and they left it off. And i do not have it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

image.jpg

AA75BB32-1D25-4A70-823C-AFAC7B0122B5.jpeg

09F749EE-CF6B-4A70-AC6B-0CBD4ECA6A5A.jpeg

13AE1613-D368-4E21-8EF1-A46DDF148536.jpeg

3BDD49F2-FA02-4498-8E02-4E6B5CD96132.jpeg

The front windshield does not have the stainless trim. You have to remove the insert from the rubber gasket on the outside.

The rear window inner trim ( on top of rubber) is held on with clips. Just gotta be careful not to bend it too much. The rear window outer trim ( on the body where you have the picture of the orange plastic tool ) is held in by screws which can be removed AFTER the glass is out. These screws also secure the clips which hold the inner rear trim molding . GM cars uses the rivet pins on the body. The dart has screws and clips. You cant see the clips yet because they probably rusted away at the bottom. Or somebody removed them and your trim is glued on now in which will make it difficult to remove. Run a thin razor blade underneath it to cut the glue if so.

I have NOT bought these but They look like it Chrysler Dodge Front Windshield Rear Window Reveal Trim Molding Clips 10pcs J | eBay.

The gasket is probably gonna be rock hard and not very flexible . I soaked mine all night with WD-40 and used plastic tools to work the rubber free from the glass and body all around. Ive heard of people using mineral spirits to soften up the gasket but have not tried it myself

The front windshield does not have the stainless trim. You have to remove the insert from the rubber gasket on the outside.

The rear window inner trim ( on top of rubber) is held on with clips. Just gotta be careful not to bend it too much. The rear window outer trim ( on the body where you have the picture of the orange plastic tool ) is held in by screws which can be removed AFTER the glass is out. These screws also secure the clips which hold the inner rear trim molding . GM cars uses the rivet pins on the body. The dart has screws and clips. You cant see the clips yet because they probably rusted away at the bottom. Or somebody removed them and your trim is glued on now in which will make it difficult to remove. Run a thin razor blade underneath it to cut the glue if so.

I have NOT bought these but They look like it Chrysler Dodge Front Windshield Rear Window Reveal Trim Molding Clips 10pcs J | eBay.

The gasket is probably gonna be rock hard and not very flexible . I soaked mine all night with WD-40 and used plastic tools to work the rubber free from the glass and body all around. Ive heard of people using mineral spirits to soften up the gasket but have not tried it myself

Thank you Sir. Figure the trim is likely irreplaceable and should get advise. The rear window is coming out so if I have to will cut the seal away and remove the glass first.

Could have swore I saw a picture of a GT with front glass trim….the seal seems to have two groves for it.

-
Back