1966 Dodge Dart Convertible disc brake conversions

-
So I'm curious I found a 74 Dodge Aspen with disc front brakes is that basically the same as a Dodge Dart and can I use the rear end and disc brakes master cylinder setup from that car?

So I'm curious I found a 74 Dodge Aspen with disc front brakes is that basically the same as a Dodge Dart and can I use the rear end and disc brakes master cylinder setup from that car?
the aspen is a F body. but you can use the fronts-- but just the spindle out. you'll still need upper control arms or an adapter for your small ball joint uppers. and you'll need lower ball joints and bolts-- the F body ones won't work with the a-body lower control arm and ball joint.

the master is a direct swap. but i'd go aftermarket rather than something used and suspect.

the rear end is different and not a bolt in. it can be made to work, but unless it's a limited slip (sure-grip) with a favorable gear ratio, there's other, better options out there.

And I would probably buy a different or rebuilt master cylinder but when you have the car and you see how it's made it's easier to make it work at least for me I wouldn't have to bug you guys so much LOL any and all advice is definitely appreciated as I am a decent mechanic but have limited knowledge on Mopar

Well he probably has the year wrong it definitely looks like an aspen from what I remember but but that's good to know thank you.

Well he probably has the year wrong it definitely looks like an aspen from what I remember but but that's good to know thank you.
i'd confirm on that, you might be passing up a good deal.

and $800 for a parts car is fairly decent. just the parts you need are several hundred by themselves. then you could knock it back together with your take offs and roll it for a few hundy and come out on top. or part the whole enchartio and come bucks up.

So if I wanted to convert to disk brakes and of course go bigger bolt pattern I would only need an upper control arm if I got an Aspen?
Oh but also you said the rear end won't work so I was thinking a different parts car because of those differences.

Also I was wondering is the duster and a body? And if so I could find one of those awesome for the conversion is that right?

Is the duster with disc brakes going to be 73 to 76 like the dart?
a 70~72 duster would have small bolt pattern kelsey hayes disc brakes, the 73~76 would have the same single piston big bolt pattern brakes as a dart.

that is if they are factory equipped cars. anything can happen in 50+ years, so always verify.

Is the duster with disc brakes going to be 73 to 76 like the dart?
'70-2 small bolt pattern, disc brakes an option. '73-6 disc brakes are big bolt pattern and standard on a V8, and optional on 6's. Same as the Dart series.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. So if I get this Dodge Aspen I can use everything but the upper control arms which I can buy online that correct?

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. So if I get this Dodge Aspen I can use everything but the upper control arms which I can buy online that correct?
yes.

spindle, caliper bracket, caliper, rotor, dust shield all swap over. you'll need the correct drop lines to connect your hard line to the new caliper.

new lower ball joints and the bolts.

on the arms you can get the adapter sleeves to run the small joints if your stuff is in good condition. if it all needs to be rebuilt you can buy new. personally i'd pick up a set and reman them, that way you can put in the offset bushings for more caster and a decent upper ball joint rather than whatever hong-kong phooey comes in the repop arms these days.

73~76 dart/duster/valiant for the lower ball joints.

drop lines, depends on the caliper (different attachments) and if you have the caliper mounted to the front or rear (general consensus is to mount to the rear). usually you can just order stock hoses from a F/M/J body car (aspen/volare/diplomat/gran fury/ny'er/magnum/etx).

What do I call this adapter sleeve so I can look it up and if you have a good source. So if I understand right I use the upper control arm I currently have for my 63 Dart with all the new stuff with this adapter sleeve is that right?

if it is a DODGE ASPEN the rear axle will be 3" wider and likely too wide unless you use late model high offset wheels and you will still need '73-up A body upper control arms
1718370620512.png

if it is a DART SPORT (dodge version of the duster '73-76), then everything will swap over.
1718370762871.png

the A body rear axles are approximately 57" wheel mount face to wheel mount face.
Other easier to find options for rear axles:
Pre '93 ford rangers, ford 7.5" ring gear rear axle are 56.5" wide. should handle up to a mild 318.
'93-10 ford rangers, ford 7.5" and ford 8.8". 58.5" wide, 8.8 will handle a big block.
'91-01 ford explorer. ford 8.8". they are 59.625", but the pumpkin is offset. if you shorten the long (driver's) side and use 2 RH axle shafts, it narrows to 56.75".

1718370693219.png

-
Back